1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista, installed slow, loads slow, runs slow

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DoHBoY182, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DoHBoY182

DoHBoY182 Thread Starter

Alright, so today i replaced my dad's powersupply and got an "Error Loading OS" Message for his system when it previously had XP on it. So i said forget messing with it ill just put vista on it and call it a day.

After putting the vista disk in it seemed to go pretty slow compaired to how it was on mine. But in the end it took about 1hr to 1hr and 1/2 to install completely. After installing it took forever to do the first boot up and after it booted i could not move the mouse more than one direction every 2 minutes or so. The system would apparently freeze or become completely bogged down for no reason.

So, this is a fresh install of Vista on a fairly good machine. Any reason why it is running as though it has the worst specs in the world?

PS: It runs fine in Safe Mode.....

The System configuration is as follows:

MoBo: Asus P5NSLI
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Graphics Cards: Nvidia 8600GT x2 SLI
    Hard Drives: 3 various, one 80, one 200g, one 300g
    RAM: 4gigs of corsair or something of the form.. namebrand to say the least

I Cant think of what else might help... it is doing this for NO REASON what so ever that i can find.

2. richard94

richard94

I'm no expert, but maybe your Hard drive is wearing out?
    Possibly also driver problems with a machine that worked with XP.
    And 1 1/2 hrs doesn't seem too slow for a vista installation.
    If you fresh install XP, does it run fine? If not, it's probably the newest introduction to the ecosystem before the problem occurred: The power supply. It's also a possibility that the new PSU is incompatible with Vista.
    Hardware incompatibilities or failures are probably the cause, as it is a fresh install on a top-notch machine (almost).
    What have you tried to fix the problem?

3. DoHBoY182

DoHBoY182 Thread Starter

Well, the power supply was the same one that was in there before but got sent out for an RMA because a fan broke in it, other than that it was fine.

But i could understand the one drive being messed up that had XP on it and that is why it doesnt even show as having the OS anymore. But the drive i installed Vista on isnt the same one.

So far to fix it, ive tried disabling some of the things that helped other people, which was something like the Auto config UPnP tool thing. i tried reinstalling vista because one of the disc drives i had plugged in was messing up the other one previously on XP so i thought it might have been a bad install due to that. (the dvd drive wouldnt show if the CD drive was plugged in.. nor would the CD drive show or open.)

It seems that one of the hard drives might be the problem, more specifically the one that had XP on it. I'm thinking if i unplug it and reboot things should be fine.

But the thing is... it gives me 51% usage, not 100% whenever it bogs out and the mouse only moves when the processing light blinks at that point. But, one time i opened the start menu and a bunch of balloons opened, which made it bog. It seems any notification balloon causes it to bog.

That lead me to think it might just be a graphical error so i installed the vista 64bit drivers but no fix.

Eitherway i've been trying to compare my system and his, and the only thing that his has that mine didnt was a problem with his harddrive due to that error, even if it isnt the one vista is in on it could probably be messing everything else up... Anyone else agree with my thinking or have another idea?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Psu incompatible with Vista? Well that sure is a new wrinkle but please don't buy into it as we have enough bad rumors out here about Vista now.
    if you have bad hardware such as non working cd drives or improperly jumpered drives you allude to, it's time to get that straightened out or removed. in your dialog you are all over the place with ideas but you need to get this pc down to one dvd drive, a single hard drive, 1 ram stick or matching ones whose models are 100% the same and then disconnect anything else. This is a huge OS that needs everything plugged into it to work right or is will take forever to boot and run. With all new proper hardware, it runs great.
    By any chance did you force in any old software programs?

5. earld2

earld2

Vista user who are having problems with slowness might benefit by going to www.cnet.com and joing the on-line class on speeding up vista.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/637811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice