1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista/internal webcam/im...can it be done?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by treehugger1770, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. treehugger1770

treehugger1770 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Is it possible to have Vista, an internal webcam and be able to IM and use the web cam?

I've been doing some online looking and haven't found an IM app that will allow me to do so.

So, I thought I'd come to ask my question in front of the masters and see if the folks on tech support guy forum could offer some suggestions on how I might get this trio to work and work well together.

Thanks-

2. Ars03

Ars03

an internal webcam? do you install it in a PCI slot on your desktop and point the back of the desktop at your face?

i know you can video chat with skype, msn, and yahoo. im sure you can with AIM6.0 but its a complete piece of ****.

make sure you dont install the addon shitware when installing messaging applications. make sure the drivers for your internal? webcam are installed and that the device is listed properly in device manager.

3. treehugger1770

treehugger1770 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

I'm still trying to get the proper jargon down -when I said internal cam, I meant a preinstalled/built in cam.

For example, ym for Vista does not support also using a web cam.
    I'll check and see if skype or msn have changed their parameters and will allow the vista/web cam combo.

4. Ars03

Ars03

whether the webcam is built in or whether it is USB, your OS still recognizes it as a webcam. and therefore, the most recent versions of any popular messenger that allows video chatting should be able to use it.

and what do you mean that yahoo messenger for vista ALSO doesnt support using a webcam.. YM supports video chat and will most definitely be able to use your webcam.

check to see if camera assistant software is installed and running or that the camera is even recognized in the BIOS.

it would help if you told me the manufacturer of the laptop

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/728262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice