1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista internet problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by molid, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. molid

molid Thread Starter

hi, i installed windows vista ultimate the other day as an upgrade from windows xp. i am currently using a linksys wirless router. while i had xp installed all my internet seemed to be working ok. since i upgraded to vista everything is working fine apart from that i cant access the internet at all. i go to network and create a new network connection. as i create it i choose the BT home hub downstairs and it goes on asking about the WEP key etc.... when i added the information in, it says it has connected to the hub and to click next to see if i am connected to the internet. i click on yes and it says i have connected to the internet correctly. now the problem is when i now click on the internet explorer icon it doesnt load up and webpages and says there is a problem although it states in the network area it is fully connected to the internet. i then accessed my hub from my computer and it comes up saying that the wireless is connected from my linksys to the hub downstairs. i have tried taking off the firewalls and re-installing the linksys device but nothing has seemed to work so far. can anybody help me please.:)

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Does it say you connected to the network and internet in the system tray?

3. molid

molid Thread Starter

yes both say they are connected although it says my connection is limited.

4. molid

molid Thread Starter

hey again here is the ping i did on my computer and i see it has came up 169. whihc means it cannot connect outside. can anybody help please.

Attached Files:

5. TechB

TechB

It sounds like the key may have been entered wrong. Right click the network icon in the system tray and pick Connect to a network. Highlight your network and pick disconnect. Highlight it again and pick connect. You should be able to re-enter the key at this point.

6. molid

molid Thread Starter

hi, i have already tried that and it does not work.

7. TechB

TechB

What type of wireless encryption are you using? The symptoms you are describing are indicative of an encryption problem.

8. molid

molid Thread Starter

i am using WEP encryption

9. TechB

TechB

Are you using the first key or one of the others? WEP allows you to enter four keys and then pick which one to use. Check your router to see which one you are using.

10. Crazy_Rach

Crazy_Rach

Is it possible that this could be a problem with DNS?

11. molid

molid Thread Starter

hi, i am using a BT home hub and the key i am entering is the wireless key which i have used previously. also another strange problem is that on one of the settings i can connect to the hub and then it says click 'Next' to see if you can connect to the internet. i click next and it says it is now connected to the internet. but if i do it through another way where it connects to the hub it doesnt state click 'next' to see if you can access the internet. i click finish and it does not connect to the internet at all. so i now everytmie i load the pc have to go though a certain menu to make myself be connected.

12. TechB

TechB

There are many possibilities. I'm still betting on an encryption setting. It could be a driver problem or a firewall problem as well.

13. molid

molid Thread Starter

it says all drivers have been installed correctly and i have tried to disable the firewall a number of times but it still does not connect.

14. TechB

TechB

You could try temporarily turning off WEP on your router and see if Vista can connect. You will have to disconnect then re-connect after you change the router. This will tell you if it's an encryption problem. Even if this allows you to connect do not leave encryption turned off. This is a troubleshooting step only.

15. molid

molid Thread Starter

ok then , thanks for that (y) i will inform you later on the results

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice