1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista laptop unreliable for on-the-road wireless use

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Historian, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Historian

Historian Thread Starter

I use my (Acer 5610Z) Vista laptop mainly when I'm on the road, such as in hotels, so there isn't any one particular router involved in my problem. It's that sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't, get the wireless to work. Right now, for instance, I can't connect at all. I try and try, and each time it simply comes back failed. The machine's attempts at an explanation are too pathetic to recount ("try plugging in a cable to 'local area connection!'").

Meanwhile, I happen to have access to another laptop, which connects just fine. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with the connection.

How can I begin to figure out what is wrong with my Acer? Thanks.

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

I would suggest two things Historian:

1. Check the Acer web site to see if your wireless card has updated drivers.

2. Go out and plunk down $30 for a USB wireless adaptor and try using it for a couple of weeks instead of the internal one. If it works great and has no problems, keep it, use it and chalk up the internal one to be a lemon (providing your tried my first suggestion first). IF, however, the USB one acts just like the internal one, then you have some Windows issues that need to be troubleshooted (is that a word?)

Good luck

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is the version and patch level of Windows on the problem computer and the one that connects properly?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/872625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice