1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista - Limited Connectivty

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xdarkfire, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xdarkfire

xdarkfire Thread Starter

right, so back story.
    the comp im having problems with now has been working fine and connecting to my internet at my house perfectly for a while.
    in the last couple days i got the nasty security tools malware, and despite best efforts of removal ended up doing a system restore to a previous date, which was still inside the time that i have been connecting to the internet.
    since the system restore i have not been able to connect to the net.
    comp is a custom build, with no wireless card, so im using a belkin wireless adapter.

problem is that it says unidentified network, idk if thats really a huge problem or not, but the main problem is the access is limited connectivity, signal strength is excellent though. which makes since, as the computer has been connecting fine in the same place previously.

when i look at the status the packets are all going out, but none are coming back in. currently like 500+ out and 0 in.

i tried the ip stack reset thing and dns reset log thing, netsh reset or something like that, and i dont think it really did anything.

drivers are up to date for everything.

when i try to have windows diagnose the problem it gives me the options to give new settings for the ip, says there is a problem with the router, or reset the adapter.
    i have already reset the adapter, and tried doing the change to the ip settings, but of course, to no avail.

currently, im stumped and annoyed. and all the stuff i have looked up or tried just seems to not work for me. im probably just missing something, or doing something just a bit wrong since i been working on this for so long.

i hate putting up another one of the same problems that you guys have solved for so many others, but i just cant figure this one out.
    any help would be very much appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    You may still have the virus on the PC lets try a few things and then we may need to refer to the virus section for a clean bill of health

Did you get any errors like access denied ? - see below

Have you tried connecting cable and safemode with networking as the PC boots keep tapping F8 a menu appears choose safemode with networking

Have you ever had or have norton on the PC or other security suite like mcafee etc? That may be blocking and need removing

Lets also see xirrus screen shot - see below

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    The please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Post back the results here
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

------------------------------------------------------------------------

{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. xdarkfire

xdarkfire Thread Starter

alright, i did get the elevation error the first time i did it. i didnt realize that you still had to right-click and run as admin id you were still logged in as the admin.

norton was on here recently but it ended and we just took it off since it kept spamming us to pay it lol.

so i did the resets, they worked this time, just said everything was "ok!" and then rebooted.

my network is the 2WIRE190
    [​IMG]
    i am thinking this is actually network error, as the other computers on the network are at times having the same problem. where the internet works fine and then all the sudden it just stops dead, and then picks up after a bit. according to the meters on my laptop, the packets are being sent out, but none are being received or brought back in.
    we are calling att to get some info from them, probably get someone out here to check it out, maybe the router is just going bad, or something like that, that can be easily fixed.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I would change the wireless channel in the router to 11 -

This would need to be at the exact same time - is that the case?

Use the Norton Removal tool to uninstall Norton - Norton does have a habit of blocking even when uninstalled !!!!!
    Do a reboot and run the Removval tool again
    then reboot
    Norton Removal Tool
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

5. xdarkfire

xdarkfire Thread Starter

it kind of is. ive only been able to use my laptop and my phone as a comparison currently, as the other computers are laptops and with their respective owners until they return.

from what i can tell so far, it does seem to happen at the same time. the fix, while simple enough, is rather annoying. if i just disconnect and reconnect it works fine right afterward.

it almost seems to be a certain amount of data limit. i guess what i mean is it seems that i can do some small time surfing on very un-intensive sites, and be alright for a while. but if i do something like load enough websites, or turn on an online game, it seems to happen more often.

im not entirely sure how networking works, still learning, but its almost like when you do too much on your computer without cleaning the ram, and it just locks up. im not sure how accurate that analogy is, but its kind of the impression i get.

i will continue to try and do more testing on that to see if it may be data amount related or not.

the norton removal tool did its thing, still having trouble connecting to the internet on that computer though.

also called att, they did a network reboot, or something. changed the network name and password. they said it fixed the problems people have most of the time. and yea, still having problems lol.

so, im just wondering if the router they supplied is just going bad or something, cuz my laptop has been sitting within maybe 10 feet of it for the last several hours and still had problems.

im sorry about the rambliness and spastic writing lol, im just trying to make sure that i am giving you all the information so that i can get this solved.

and thank you very much for taking the time to help me, truely appreciate it :)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you change the channel to 11? Please show another Xirrus screen shot.

7. xdarkfire

xdarkfire Thread Starter

we didnt change the channel to 11.

when i got ahold of att and the lady channel to 9, from whatever it was before. but we were still having problems with the router as i said. so called again and this time they did a total reset, and the channel got changed to 4. which when i look at this tool i have on my laptop seems pretty reasonable, since there are a bunch of networks in the higher numbers. but there are still like 10 wireless networks in the area, so theres gonna be noise i guess.

heres the xirrus screenie you wanted, this is from maybe 10 min ago: again my network is 2WIRE190:
    [​IMG]

and here is a little thing i use on my laptop to check network stuff, maybe this will give u more info, and show how the networks in the area look.
    [​IMG]

after the first reboot a couple hours ago, my vista comp was still getting limited connectivity, but it still registered as being connected to the network. as of now after the reset, i cant even get it to connect to the network at all.

either says that the security code is wrong, even though i know its right. or it stops finding networks in the area and says so. which is confusing since it sees them, then doesnt, then does again, and has worked fine in the same exact location just a couple days ago.

and a couple times i got a message about a hidden network or something of the like, i have no idea what that means.it seems as though it may be an issue with the adapter. i would try moving the computer, but its a desktop, and moving is not easy.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's really difficult to believe that both of those outputs were from approximately the same location and time. The signal strengths are so different and the number of networks is so different.

You never know for sure until you've tried it, but I still read the Xirrus output as indicating that channel 11 would give you the best crack in that area. However, that doesn't tell us what environment the router is seeing, so channel 11 could be the worst. :(

9. ConnectivityFix

ConnectivityFix

Norton expired on my new laptop, that's around the same time my Vista laptop started having Limited Connectivity and no internet. Some days it would connect, then it stopped connecting all together. I tried all of the netsh commands, etc. After Norton was removed, I still could not connect. Looks like the Router was preventing an "attack" from my laptop. I manually reset the router (not just power down/power up), then WITH THE LAPTOP'S WIRELESS SWITCH TURNED OFF, I deleted the old wireless connection and added the new one to match the new router settings. I had tried to change the wireless network settings on the laptop several times with the wireless switch turned on, and it fooled the router into thinking I was a hacker.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    ConnectivityFix, your post has no relevance to this thread. Are you just confused and having difficulty starting your own thread and describing whatever problem you're having? Or are you just probing to see if this site is actively monitored (it is)?

11. xdarkfire

xdarkfire Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i just took these screenies again, this is from about 10 min ago or so. they are litterally sitting within 2 feet or so of each other
    would the fact that my laptop being mac really have that big of a difference on how the wireless worked? i know i have heard that vista has issues with wireless, but i didnt think it would be this much of a difference in power. or could this just be a crappy adapter unit?

i also tried making my laptop be the base host of a network while sitting next to my desktop, it actually connected fine to that, however i couldnt really access the internet, it was just connect to the network.

im going to try and move this desktop unit tomorrow and see if that will maybe fix it, would make since if it did, but also wouldnt since it has worked fine in the same place it is now before.

again, im sorry about how long this is taking, if i dont get it fixed by maybe the day after tomorrow ill stop bugging u guys

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't worry about us. We "work" here when we feel like it. :)

No criticism of you, but those screen shots are so confusing. Looking at them I'd say the PC is getting a good signal and the MAC not so good and may be having issues with stability of the connection. Sound backwards? I know; that's at least part of my confusion.

Vista, I think, does pretty well with wireless. The major problem is incorrect driver. Another is that it sometimes struggles with WEP encryption. A third is that it seems to despise certain Linksys routers. The 4th is that ipv6 sometimes hurts--see JohnWill's post here.

13. xdarkfire

xdarkfire Thread Starter

hmm, yea that dopes seem backwards, especially based on the current situation lol. i guess from what i see, and seeing your thought i can understand. the mac is getting more networks, but the signal for each is maybe less powerful, while the vista may be getting less networks, but each is more powerful.

ive tried going through and unchecking the ipv6, as well as ipv4, and both at the same time, in the adapter settings.

not using a linksys router, or at least i think its not, we just use the one that att gave us.

and, i guess i can try reinstalling the driver again lol, maybe doing it for the 3rd time will get it to go.

i have been under the assumption that updating the driver for a usb network adapter would be the same as for a video card or sound card, i.e. downloading new, deleting old, and running umm, i think it is called cccleaner, cant remember name of the top of my head, and then installing the new driver.

is this correct or should i just download the driver and just rerun it and install it and let it do its thing?

14. ConnectivityFix

ConnectivityFix

I'm not confused anymore. I worked on this same problem for over a year, and it drove me crazy. You don't have to take my advice, but I have full connectivity and you don't. Stop worrying about your ipv4 and ipv6 and your network adapter and driver and stop wondering if your router is going bad. Norton is the problem. When Norton expires it "blackmails" you into a subscription by blocking your wireless internet by mimicking a hack on your router. Just get rid of Norton, reset you router, reset your laptop's wireless network

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ahhh, that's what you were trying to say before, ConnectivityFix. It's true that some security suites block networking when their data definitions get too far out of date. That's a security precaution, not a blackmail. Etaf already covered this much earlier and advised to run Symantec's Norton Removal Tool. However, it wouldn't hurt to run it again, as Symantec even advises running it twice in some circumstances.

xdarkfire, stay away from registry wreckers, or should I say "cleaners." Normally you can just install an adapter driver, but it doesn't hurt to uninstall the current one first.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice