1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista/Linux dual boot problem

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by murlamike, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murlamike

murlamike Thread Starter

I have an Acer 5610Z with Vista (SP2). Hard drive was seperated into C: & D:. I have successfully shrunk D to provide 25Gb spare into which I have installed OpenSuse 11.2. So far so good, though I think the install did not work properly as it failed to discover printer and internet connections. I also have a problem with Vista in that, while in Windows Explorer I an see and work in the D: drive, Backup & Restore no longer recognises the D: drive.
    Has anyone seen this before.
    I'm not a complete novice but don't really know where to start to look for a solution at this stage. Could it be something to do with the bootloader config?
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Cheers

2. murlamike

murlamike Thread Starter

Thanks to earthboundmisfit for the advice which has solved the internet connection problem, partly solved the printing problem, and left me with the windows problem on the D:\ drive.
    I've tried to make the printer as suggested, but while it now discovers my USB printer, there seems to be no driver for my Epson Stylus SX400 3in1 printer, so I've got to lok around. Has anyone got a driver that works.
    The D:drive remains a problem. Windows Disk Management shows C: and D: drives as partitions with the type NTFS as healthy primary partitions. The first entry is shown as a small EISA config which I believe is the manufacturers rebuild factory settings installation. There are then 3 further primary partitions totalling the 23.85Gb which I gained by shrinking the D: drive. In Linux, C: & D: appear as Windows partitions with mount points. In Linux, with OpenOffice I can access my Windows Documents directory on the C: drive and open files there which I have through OpenOffice in Vista. The difficulty remains that Windows Backup and Restore which I have used for a couple of years to back up data files from C: to D: fails as it says the drive does not exist. If I try to configure Backup, it will not offer D: as an option.
    Any other thoughts folks?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice