1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista load error "preparing desktop" after repartition.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by striderlps, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. striderlps

striderlps Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm a newbie here - after finding techsupportguy by googling for support forums for my particular problem. I hope someone in this community might have some ideas for me... :)

So after having a stable and successful dual-boot with XP and Vista Ultimate 32Bit for several months now, I got over-confident.

After a long night getting the kids to sleep, etc etc, I had the bright wee hours of the morning idea that I could quickly increase my Vista partition size as it was getting a little light (it shares an internal HDD with another drive letter) and promptly stuffed my Vista boot.

Setup = C:\ XP Boot (original OPSYS). V:\ Vista Partition (shared on same drive as D:\)

What I did...

* Booted into XP, loaded Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.
    * Resized D:\ (shrunk by 25GB) and Resized v:\ (increased by 25GB).
    * Applied actions.
    * Had a PC lock-up in XP some time later, reset PC.
    * Boot error - no Windows Vista found (load original disc).
    * Loaded Vista disc and used "r" option. Located vista partition, repaired.
    * Vista Booted (had rundll.exe error or something similar) and died.
    * Re-booted, hit F8 and selected "last known good config." Vista ran lengthy disc check. (Noticed Vista volume was now H:\ not V:\ ???)
    * Re-Booted- Vista loaded to login. Keyed password, and "preparing desktop" appeared.
    * My desktop and startup programs fail to boot and I get stuck in a plain blue empty screen with cursor only. CTR-ALT-DEL accesses Task Manager or log-off / shutdown screen but I have an incomplete load of vista and no profile.

I have re-checked the Vista Drive in XP and it is all there (profile/data/opsys etc). However, when I boot back to command prompt in Vista - V:\ has become H:\ as mentioned. No wonder my profile/desktop/start-up and Vista doesn't kick-in properly!

Anyone know the safest way to fix this? I reckon that if I somehow change the volume letter from H:\ to V:\ within the Vista boot everything will "reload" normally.

Acronis is installed under XP boot, and I have a BART PE boot disc, the Vista boot Disc and a GNOME Part. ED image I can burn also... Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,
    Striderlps.

2. 12ian34

12ian34

same problem, sort of...

Vista loads, with my profiles at the welcome screen, but when i click on one, i get stuck with a temporary profile. Vista is now F: rather than the original V:

please help someone.

3. NZDave

NZDave

I've convinced myself that Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 is NOT Vista partition friendly, even when run under XP.

For your desktop/profile problems, have a check of the permissions of the user's profile folder... I suspect you might find that the actual user only has read and execute access to their own profile directory. If you find this is the case, change the user's permissions to 'Modify' and apply to current folder, current files, subfolders and files within subfolders. It would make sense to also give "Creator Owner" full control of the same files. At the very least give the user delete permissions on all temporary directories and files in their profile. Log on using that account, see what happens.

For a quicker test just temporarily give "full control" to the user for all of their profile (this is not recommended best practice for a permanent solution for obvious reasons).

I'd be interested in your results.

4. 12ian34

12ian34

OK, ive just tried that and now, instead of creating a temprary profile, when i log in to my normal account, its says welcome for a long time, then comes a blue screen, open task manager, start explorer and i get "redirected" to another new profile, that isnt in the list on the welcome screen. this profile is not temporary.

i thought i will just rebuild this profile with all the settings from my previous profile, so i copied the ntuserdat log files (two of them) from my old profile, (which hasnt lost any data but i still can access) to this new profile under the F:\Users folder. (and i copied all the app data).

reboot.

try to access my old user account, redirected to this new account with none of the app data of the old account, but with the same settings as i left it with last time.

just for fun, i run ms word. "the windows installer service could not be accessed. this can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed. contact your support personnel for assistance."

(by the way, in the start menu, all the applications i had in my old account are still there, and were there in all the temporary user profiles that vista created, but i cant run most of them. i can run firefox, which im on now, luckily.)

5. 12ian34

12ian34

Bump. Please help!

6. 12ian34

12ian34

Good news, i fiddled around with the ProfileList Registry entries in regedit, i changed the root fro the temporary profile to the root for my old, proper profile.

Now, welcome is displayed forever when i log on, start task manager, new task, explorer, and there is my old profile (i also copied the ntuser files from the old profile to the temporary ones.)

however, basically nothing works, no applications apart from a few like firefox.

may be something to do with the drive letters

7. 12ian34

12ian34

Right, I have had enough.

There are no solutions on the whole internet.

Microsoft customer support is crap.

I am backing up my files and reinstalling Vista.

8. NZDave

NZDave

Have you tried deleting the profile through system properties and then logging on again to re-create the profile?

9. 12ian34

12ian34

Yes, i cant delete or add any new profiles, is there a command line for deleting profiles?

10. NZDave

NZDave

Not that I can immeadiatly recall.

Do you get an error message when you try and delete a profile?

Are there any events in the event log that might relate?

11. aaauser

aaauser

I have exactly the same problem, resized with Disk Director, it swapped drive letters and now vista startup never gets beyond 'preparing desktop'...

Did you ever find a solution for this or did you reinstall Vista?

What build of Disk Director were you using? I wonder if it is fixed in a recent build (assuming its this piece of software at fault)

12. 12ian34

12ian34

I never found a solution, i messed about with the registry entries for the users but that did not help, so i just backed up onto my other partition and reinstalled Vista.

Its the easiest solution. I found an easy guide on how to get rid of Vista first on THIS PAGE.

That worked perfectly. Hope this has helped...

13. palomet

palomet

I had this problem some time ago and solved this way: regedit from safe-mode and changed HOMEDRIVE (I think..) to the original drive.
    Unfortunately this second time the trick doesnt work...

14. TeranteK

TeranteK

Same thing happened to me when I made a clone of my vista system drive and removed the original to try and boot from the clone. The problem lies with the way vista deals with the connected drives. Rather than re-assigning letters when booting up each time as some older windows versions did, vista stores an identification numbr unique to each drive in the registry, so if you remove a drive and put it back in it will receive the same letter.

Anyway, determined not to be beaten, I tried many things and heres a way that works:

(I'll include simple instructions first for changing a system driveletter then at the end ill post what I did to copy a vista installation to another drive for anyone who's interested)

Changing the Vista system drive letter
    (should fix the problem many of u folks are having)
    1. On a diferent computer that boots properly with internet, download small program called registry workshop (30day free trial), install it and burn the installation directory to a CD (or floppy if it fits).

2. Boot up the "broken" vista installation in safe mode (need administrator account)

3. When it reaches the desktop (start menu and icons missing) bring up task manager and click file > new task > type "%Windir%\explorer.exe" (this should allow you to access start menu, etc.

4. Navigate to the CD with registry workshop and run it off the CD

5. Follow this path through the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\MountedDevices

6. There should be a value there with the drive letter that vista is installed on currently. Change the name of the registry key from "\DosDevices\[currentdrive]:" to "\DosDevices\[Original Drive Letter]:". You may have to delete "\DosDevices\[Original drive letter]: if it already exists.

7. Reboot the system and all should be as you left it!

Copying an Installation of Vista
    1. Download a vista compatible drive cloning program such as driveclone (available as full 30 day trial)

2. Download Registry Workshop (also 30day full trial) and install, then copy the install directry onto a cd/removable disk (maybe not required)

3. Make the Clone your vista hard disk onto another one

4. Turn of compuetr and disconnect the source hard disk

5. Boot up again (with first boot device set to cd drive) with vista dvd in drive

6. When it has loaded, choose the repair option, this should detect a problem with vista's boot location and repair it to allow you to boot from the new hard disk.

7. When you boot the computer from this hard disk (do so in safe mode - we need the administrator account), it should get stuck on the screen you folks mentioned above (no start menu, etc)

8. Bring up task manager and click file > new task > type "%Windir%\explorer.exe" (this should allow you to access start menu, etc.

9. There are a couple of registry files to delete but regedit will not currently open, so this is where registry workshop comes in. Unlike regedit this program will still work.

10. In registry workshop, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > MountedDevices

11. look for keys named "\DosDevices\c:" There should be one there with the same letter on the end as your original vista installation was on. There should also be one corresponding to the vista installation you're currently running. Copy the value from the one your running to the original key, and delete the key that you're currently running.

12. Reboot and everything should be back to normal, you can reconnect the other drives
    and now both vista installations should work (i havent actually tested that last statement)

15. krteq

krteq

Thanks a lot!

I had the same problem yesterday, Vista couldn't load the desktop after repartitoning. Before repartitioning, it used to be "C:" - after reboot, it was "E:":

Just rebooted to safe mode (couldn't load desktop as well..), hit Ctrl+Alt+Del +. task manager => new task => regedit. You don't even need Registry Workshop :)

In regedit, I followed instructions from the post above. Deleted entry with "C:" and rewrote "E:" to "C:" Then rebooted => solved! :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/564718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice