Vista Local Disk and OS Disks Switched?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PartTimePerson

Hi there!
I've ended up with a friend's messed up computer and was hoping you guys might be able to help me fix it a bit to get it at least slightly functional again. I don't know the details of what went wrong, but about a year ago the laptop, a Dell Inspiron E1505, basically kicked the bucket. Somehow it managed to revive itself, but the Local Disk (C:) and OS (D:) appear to have been switched. I keep getting the "You're running low on disk space" error since the Local Disk has only 1.95MB free out of a supposed total of 9.99GB. OS (D:), on the other hand, has 118GB free out of 136GB. All of his personal stuff appears to be gone entirely, which is not a big deal since he had it backed up elsewhere. So, I'm not looking to save or restore personal documents or anything, I'm just trying to get this extra laptop semi-operational if possible.

I'm not especially computer savvy, so I'd appreciate it if you could try to use layman's terms and relatively simple explanations in any questions or suggestions you may have for me...otherwise I stand no chance.

I also don't think I have any Vista installation disks or anything like that. Not sure if that matters.

D: has folders the following folders: backup, DELL, Drivers, hotfix, mamlTemp, PerfLogs, Program Files, Program Data, sandbox, Users, Windows and the files BOOTSECT.BAK and dell.sdr

C: has the folders dell, PerfLogs, Program Files, ProgramData, Users, Windows, and then 8 TMP files and something called IPH.PH.

The only programs on the laptop are Adobe Flash Player and RICOH Media Driver.

You probably don't need most of that information, but I figured I might as well mention it.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks for reading.

You can try to salvage that if you want to, but I would just put his windows disk in and re-install the OS and start from scratch if he has all of his personal files backed up.

PartTimePerson

The laptop just says "please insert disk" when I put in the Windows OS cd I just found. Though the only OS cd I have is meant to be an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, so maybe that's the issue. I also located a USB with Windows XP Setup on it, but when I tried to run it, the laptop claims "there is not enough space on this disk." As I mentioned, I don't have the original Vista OS cds or anything like that, nor am I inclined to purchase them.

Is there anything else you can suggest? I'm fine with just starting from scratch, but it's I'm finding even that somewhat difficult.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online