1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista logon screen for single user logon

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by richf, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richf

richf Thread Starter

Vanilla Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop running Windows Vista. It has never had a login account or password protection, and is only used in single user mode.

Yesterday, start-ups fine, no password. Today, I'm presented with the user logon widow prompting me for a password, and cannot logon to Vista!

No-one has meddled with the laptop. Don't know if SP1 was automatically downloaded
    and installed - whatever the factory defaults were from Dell. I've not seen any references to this kind of issue on Vista, but have heard about a similar thing with NT.

Any suggestions how this could have happened?

Yes - I know I can reset passwords using the NT Password Editor (http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/).

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you tried a blank password?

If you get that working, then to automatically log in (which as happening before)
    Start / Run / control userpasswords2
    Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer
    Apply
    Type in the name and password you want to automatically log on with.

3. richf

richf Thread Starter

Yes - doesn't work. Actually, if you try this three times, on the third attempt it performs some different processing, but puts you back at the login screen.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

When you first got the computer, where you asked for an initial user name and password?

Can you boot to safe mode, log in as administrator with no password?

If so from there you can look at what user accounts there are and reset the password to something you will remember.

--

Just to help you understand, the computer always had a login user name and password. It was just that computer was set to automatically log you on.

5. richf

richf Thread Starter

I don't remember being prompted as part of the initial set-up for a username/password. (it was late and the shiny new laptop had arrived from Dell.) I'll try the safe-mode login. How do I specify an administrator login?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You should see it as a user to click on.

7. richf

richf Thread Starter

Thx - I rechecked with a set of passwords and found one that worked.
    It was the fact you said I must have set-up a user/password on the initial
    set-up, even though it does not prompt.

I still don't understand how it started prompting, even though this had been switched.

Many thx again.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad that worked and solved the problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice