1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VISTA lost all USB drives

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tepeco, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tepeco

tepeco Thread Starter

1. Wife says, "I can't do my daily backup to my USB flash drive. Worked up until this morning just fine..."
    2. Being the IP with better than avg. skills with problems, I quickly noticed that when opening MY COMPUTER, I saw only 3 choices... the C: drive, the backup section D: drive and the DVD/CD drive, E:

There should have been choices for 6 more drives labeled as 'removable disks' . Once the OS begins to open Windows, sometimes it's slow to bring up the password screen and sometimes lags too long bringing the desktop up.

Vista home premium, 32bit, protected with Avast, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, etc. Daily scans. Once a week, use CCleaner for register and file cleanup. Computer protected by UPS/surge protection and we don't do gaming... strictly business, bookkeeping, spreadsheets, etc.

I suspect a new start is the only answer, but if anyone might have a clue how this would come out of the blue like this, I would appreciate another suggestion. There is a lot of customization that I will loose if I do a HD scrub and start over. Would love to avoid that!

2. valis

valis Moderator

I'd stop using CCleaner's reg cleaning function asap. That may have caused this. I have a fix for XP, dunno if it will work on vista. It involves modifying the registry, let me know if you want to try it.

3. tepeco

tepeco Thread Starter

I'm surprised! CCleaner is corrupt?? Is there a better cleaner for the registry? I'll take your advise and yes, I would like to try your possible fix. You say you that fix is for XP normally... Is the fix for XP for the same problem? I have one PC with XP, but it's functioning relatively well. We keep it for a DOS program I'm still using.

4. valis

valis Moderator

no, there are NO good cleaners for the registry. One of those weird things that cropped up and nobody debunked it in time. Just avoid them, there are NO good cleaners for the registry save for biting the bullet and doing it manually.

5. tepeco

tepeco Thread Starter

I'll give it a shot this evening when I get home and let you know what happens. Thanks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice