1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista: Love or Hate

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wolfworx, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Just replaced a computer that failed with a new one. I had hoped to salvage the old one somehow and contuine running XP Prof, but that was not to be.

So my new computer came with Vista Home Premium.

Things I like:
    • It has a pretty face.
    • It connected to the Network router and Optimum Cable Internet without any problems.
    • It connected to my Epson printer without a problem.

Things I do not like:
    • It will not run Music Match - a program I use all the time to convert CD music and audio books to MP3 -- for me this is big!
    • It will not run my copy of Nero
    • Many locations of features and utilities have been rearranged for no apparent reason. For the moment, it takes me longer to find things.
    • I am getting tired of all the NAGGING dialogs that keep me several clicks away for getting on with what I want to do.
    • Security features are bothersome and do not show an improvement.

2. Orumph

Orumph

"It will not run Music Match - a program I use all the time to convert CD music and audio books to MP3 -- for me this is big!"

This is not a problem with Vista. Music Match is now defunct, and if it doesn't run properly in vista, then it was the way it was coded (incorrectly, not to standards by MS that would have made it compatible with vista, as many other apps are.)

"It will not run my copy of Nero"

Same as above. Get the latest version. Not vista's fault.

"Many locations of features and utilities have been rearranged for no apparent reason. For the moment, it takes me longer to find things."

Over all, it is setup better for the most part. There are some annoyances, granted.
    Just takes some getting used to. There are many good reasons for the changes.

"I am getting tired of all the NAGGING dialogs that keep me several clicks away for getting on with what I want to do."

Welcome to better security. Many complained about the lack of security in XP.
    While not implemented in the best way, it is a step in the right direction.

"Security features are bothersome and do not show an improvement."

Yes, there is a huge improvement. The Firewall is now a real firewall that can be configured fully and completely. No need for any third party firewall like Zone Alarm or Internet Security Suits, (which for the most part cause more problems than they resolve). While there are some things about it that could have been done better, the improvements are huge. OneCare fixes some, by prompting if you want to allow a connection through or not, This should (in my opinion) have been default without the need to buy an additional software suit, but OneCare has improved alot and continues to.

Most of what you complain about are not actual vista problems.
    While there are some annoyances, and there always will be. most of what is in vista is an improvement.

3. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Music match, as I said before is a BIG item with me. If it had not been a problem with getting XP drivers for the new system, I would convert from Vista to XP.

(y)Luckily, I still have another system running XP and put Music Match on it. There is at present no new MP3 player and converter that I like as much -- or does the job as well. Incidentally, Music Match is the preferred software for my Dell Jukebox MP3 player.

"Just takes some getting used to. There are many good reasons for the changes."

Really? Can you enlighten me with one or two?

Some improvements are just change for change sake. :rolleyes:

Consider:
    Win98 good
    Win ME bad
    Win XP good
    Win Vista bad?
    Win 7 good???

Oh well. Vista is, in any case, a new challenge! I'm learning to live with it.

4. pillainp

pillainp

Try WMP. It does a pretty good job of ripping CD's, too. I find it very fast indeed, even when set to 320kbps

5. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried WMP, but preferred Music Match because I found its tagging features more useful. Especially group tagging and file renaming save me much time and effort.

6. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

IMO anything labeled 'Windows Live' is just another ploy by MS for taking control over everybody. It might have good products but I recommend avoiding it just on GP.

As for these issues being "not Vista's fault" if you redesign a product so that what previously worked now doesn't, then yes-it's YOUR fault. That doesn't mean you didn't have good reasons for doing it, but having a reason for breaking someone else's app doesn't mean that you aren't the one who broke it.

And I'll add my request to Wolfworx': I've been looking for over a year now & still haven't found MS providing a good explanation for many of the changes in Vista. Personally, I don't think there are any-at least none they want to publish. (It's possible that some changes were deliberately made to break third-party apps. They've done that before, could be they did it again. And it's possible that changes were made irresponsibly, i.e. "because we didn't think it was important to keep things the same". And some were undoubtedly made for good reasons-but Microsoft has never, that I've seen, acknowledged why they made the changes they did. Just "that's the way it is, take it or leave it".

7. jbemp

jbemp Banned

• It will not run Music Match - a program I use all the time to convert CD music and audio books to MP3 -- for me this is big!
    Have you tried running the install in xp compatible mode and running as the administrator?
    • It will not run my copy of Nero
    Same as above
    • Many locations of features and utilities have been rearranged for no apparent reason. For the moment, it takes me longer to find things.
    This is to be expected Vista has a prety good learning curve. Get the book vista for dumbies (no offense just the book name) This book will help out with alot of the new changes.
    • I am getting tired of all the NAGGING dialogs that keep me several clicks away for getting on with what I want to do.
    Yes the extra clicks are nagging BUT they keep you a little safer. The idea is that even if yuo are an admin of the PC you are running as if yuo are just a normal user, untill yuo want to do something that you need admin rights to do. Like install a program.... This will help to protect you from malichous programs. If you run as admin your system is totaly open if yuo run as a normal user then are asked to do an admin job it helps a little with security
    • Security features are bothersome and do not show an improvement.
    Read above.

FYI: I at first HATED Vista. I am now Microsoft certified in Vista and have been using it for close to a year(I used beta too) . I can see how home users and NON IT people would get pissed off at VISTA. Just give it time and like any big changes things should get better

8. Orumph

Orumph

Absolutely not. In this case. MS didn't brake peoples apps. Those programmers chose to ignore the MS standard way for coding a more secure app and used the registry improperly because XP allowed them to. Those things they were allowed to do in XP, but weren't supposed to be doing is what broke their apps. Vista corrected things to force programs not to use the registry in the way they were programed and not supposed to be.

Had the programmers of those apps, coded their apps properly, then they wouldn't have a problem running on vista.

Blame the programmers.

To get a bit more specific. There are a lot of programs out there that require admin rights to the registry and specific keys. This is not the proper use of the registry, Vista corrected this. Again, blame the programmers for not coding properly.

9. jbemp

jbemp Banned

ITs called the programers were alowed to use the registry before(When the program was coded!) and now that microsoft chagned things yuo need new versions(withch in the case of the music program I dont think there is one!) Let stop blaiming people and just FIX THE ISSUES!!!! Who gives a **** if the programers did what or MS did what all that matters is getting things working! PLEASE stop the BS about who is to blaim and just help fix things.

10. Orumph

Orumph

I do agree, to a point.
    I am just trying to set the record straight. So people are informed as to where the real problem is, and stop pointing fingers in the wrong direction.

11. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

We tend not to like flames or trolls too much, they tend to enflame things (no pun intended).
    as far as the problems, the root cause is always useful to know. When XP came out, it had the same issues. When the next windows comes out, it will have the same problems. It is all part and parcel of innovation.
    I am aware that Nero had probs with Vista, and a new version was released that is vista compliant.
    If yo uthink that those are probs, wait till you get to the big progs. Acad 2008 and 2009 work woth vista, everything below doesnt. Tis a big investment to make THOSE vista compliant :)

12. jillian2

jillian2

I like Vista fine. I have had no problems with it. The only thing I don't like , is being asked if I want to continue. Well , of course I do. DUH

13. jillian2

jillian2

What is the reasoning behind Vista's "Do You Want To Continue?"

The reason I ask is that I just received a private message from someone telling me that if I knew the reasoning behind this , that I could tolerate the little inconveniences more. But they did not tell me the reasoning. Why not ?

14. jbemp

jbemp Banned

I was the one that sent that! You could have asked me. I did not want to go through the explanation if you already knew why! LOL The reasoning behind that constant "Do You Want To Continue?" popup is due to the way Vista runs users. Xp was set as guest, User, Power user, and Admin. Vista is similar except for the fact that when you run as and administrator you are not truly running as an admin. It is a security risk to run a PC as an admin so Vista solves this. When you are set as an admin user you still work as a normal user until the time that you try to do something that would cause you to need to be an admin. At that time Vista asks "Do You Want To Continue?" What is really being asked is “Do you want to enact a process that would cause you to need to be an admin?” See why they just ask "Do You Want To Continue?"! (It looks nicer that way!)

This process will in fact secure your computer a little better. Things such as install programs, get into secure parts of your operating system that you can use to change settings that could stop the pc from working…..

Does this explain it a little better? If not just ask me and I can try to explain it in a better way!

Thanx
    John
    Vista Certified MCP

15. jillian2

jillian2

Well it all sounds like mumbo , jumbo to me. Maybe I am just dense. Ha ha.

I would have replied to your pm , if I could have found a reply button , but could not find a way to send you a message to ask you to explain it. lol.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/750121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice