1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vista machine boot issues

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by deavo, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deavo

deavo Thread Starter

Hi everyone this is my first post, have asked the same question on many forums so i hope someone here can help :)

Ok so i recently reformatted my computer and just recently i've been having an odd boot issue, when i initially turn on my computer and get to the windows loading screen with the logo and animation it just hangs forever. Animations continue but it never actually boots.

The only way to force boot is to reset the computer and choose the "start windows normally" option. I don't really like doing this..

I've tried windows startup repair numerous times and it's convinced it can't fix "the problem" which also attempts to restore my system (successfully - but it doesnt fix the problem)

I've done a disk check, defragment and registry cleaning tools.
    I've updated my BIOS all my other drivers and firmware..
    I've tried with only 1 stick of RAM and no optical drives..
    I've disabled unused devices from device manager..

Here are my specs:
    -ASUS P5K-E/WiFi (yes i'm using the WiFi too)
    -Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 @ 2.4GHz (for now, i thought my overclock was causing the issues but it didn't make a difference)
    -twin 2GB kits of Team Xtreem DDR2 800MHz dual channel memory (4 1GB sticks total to make 4GB)
    -MSI 8800GTX OC Edition
    -Enermax Infiniti 720W power supply
    -Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM 16mb cache SATA2
    -ASUS 18X SATA DVDRW

Hope someone can help. Since i only recently formatted i dont have much to loose so i might just buy a bigger HDD and start over (again!) but if this doesn't work i'll rage even more.

When the computer finally does boot it is 100% stable and there don't seem to be any soft/hardware issues..

2. Pollex

Pollex

Try running a selective startup to see if there is something starting with your OS that could be affecting it.

Goto your "Run" command, and type msconfig. Choose "Selective startup". Restart. If that doesn't work, then go back into msconfig and make sure you put yourself back into normal startup mode.

3. deavo

deavo Thread Starter

Upon opening msconfig i came to find that it was actually already set to selective startup.. (maybe something startup repair did?)

I set it back to normal and it still didn't work :(

What does diagnostic startup do?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Why did you reformat the first time?
    This may lead us to the problem with the machine!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice