1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista mail problem due to Wan Miniport

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by fenland5, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenland5

fenland5 Thread Starter

Hi,
    My computer has been invaded by a connecting program called Wan miniport. Although connected to the internet when I try to send/receive mail Wan miniprt pops up to connect and then is unable to establish a connection. Not surprising as I'm already online but it blocks my ability to use email. I sometimes also get the error 815 which on searching google is all to do with 'connecting through Wan miniport.' I have checked out the problem with my isp, Microsoft and the manufacturer but none are able to come up with a solution. According to my internet search it's process name is Wan Miniport(ATW) Service, Product of America Online.Inc, File: wanmpsvc.exe. I have searched through C:\Windows and C:\Windows\System32folder but there is no sign of this file. I have run virus checks with Spyware Doctor and Avast but nothing shows. If anyone has any ideas they will be much appreciated.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    It is from AOL, do you have it or AOL IM installed?

3. fenland5

fenland5 Thread Starter

No, I have nothing to do with AOL installed. Hence the problem, I can't find any file to uninstall.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    It has been at one time and then some what removed.

Have you checked the uninstall in Control Panel?

5. fenland5

fenland5 Thread Starter

Many thanks for your efforts but I've now given up on Windows Mail and downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird instead which works perfectly. For the record this computer is brand new and totally free of any AOL files. I checked with Microsoft who said it was virus clear and suggested the file must have been pre-installed by the manufacturer. I then checked with Mesh who stated that no files from AOL are pre-installed in any of their computers. Having surfed google it is clear several other people have experienced the same problem with as far as I can see no solution. If any other techguy member has the same problem I suggest he follows me and switches to Thunderbird until Microsoft comes up with a patch.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    If it was a Vista issue I think more of us would have seen this. I think it came from the OEM (maker) of this machine.

Or some software that you installed.
    What software have you installed?

7. sidx

sidx

Hi, I have recently purchased Thinkpad T61 and did and clean install with Vista Business. I too have the same annoying popup "Connecting through WAN miniport". I have to cancel it several times before it goes off. I checked my Network connections and it had the following

Broadband Connections (WAN PPPOE)
    Local Area Connections
    Wireless Network Connections.

Its the first one which is creating this problem. Any suggestions what this might be? Can I safely delete it from Network connections?:confused:

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I believe that this "Broadband Connections " is the small listing of Internet providers that the OEM's install for those who do NOT have one.
    There may be a Icon in your startup group, if so just delete it.

9. sidx

sidx

Thanks. I deleted the broadband connections icon in Network Connections and ooyyaa, the problem is fixed.

10. gumtree

gumtree

Dave, I have a new Vista system and have comcast service, I am having the problem with the Wann Niniport popup everytime on email through windows mail and sometimes using the web. I know I have the quick connection on my start menu if I delete this you are saying this should correct this problem. Thanks for any help. My nephew works for commixt and tells me nothing is wrong with the way it is set up.

11. perishsong131

perishsong131

I got a new computer with windows vista. My internet works fine with the modem I previously had but when I try to connect through my d-link wireless router, I get an error 815 message. I've tried entering the username as admin while leaving the password blank but that did not help. I don't know what to do. Please help me!

12. nkbhogal

nkbhogal

I am using Vista and I am also getting the error 815 when I try to connect to the internet. I have a broadband internet connection which used to work perfectly with Win XP. I contacted my ISP who said that there is nothing wrong with the way the connection is set up on my machine. Can someone help me?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/616358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice