1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista MAJOR Audio/Video Lag

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Conderoga, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Conderoga

Conderoga Thread Starter

Hello all,

Recently I have been having a very interesting and frustrating problem with my version of Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit). Everything was great until a few days ago when the audio started lagging significantly during any and almost every sound.
    I decided to look at the process window to try and find out the reason for the massive CPU usage surge, and resulting lag in all audio. I found the problem to arise about every 30 seconds and every time, the file "audiodg.exe" jumped in CPU usage from 0% to around 30-40%. I also know that this file cannot be ended or there will be no sound at all.
    I've tried everything that I know of. I've scanned the computer with Norton 360v2, I've shut down all background applications, and I'll still get lag even when I'm only using about 60% of the processor during a spike. I've also tried disabling all audio effects, upgraded my drivers for the integrated sound, and when that worked, plugged in a Creative Audigy 2 sound card, updated it's drivers for vista and disabled any and all effects and it still lags, I've almost given up! As a side note, this does not happen when I run XP on the same machine. (It's on a seperate partition)
    Here are my system specs: (I know they aren't great)

-AMD atholon 2800+ running ~2.23GHz
    -2 GBs DDR memory
    -80Gb, 100Gb*, and 50Gb* (* = Same drive different partitions)
    -ATi Radeon x1600 XT
    -Creative Audigy2 Gamer Addition

Please help me, before I give up on vista...:(

Thanks!

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

If the onboard worked then audiodg.exe and Creative's drivers aren't getting along it would seem to me. Is Vista fully updated as well? I suggest checking with Creative to see if other users may have experienced this and perhaps obtain some support help.

3. Conderoga

Conderoga Thread Starter

actually it was working fine with the Realtek (onboard) but then it had the same problem so I tried the sound card. ill try a vista update

4. Conderoga

Conderoga Thread Starter

Sorry about the bump, but It's more or less an update. I tried a windows update, and most everything was already updated. when I started up today, I continue to have the same problem...

Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated...

5. shinybeast

shinybeast

Have you seen and read this? What are you doing with your sound card (playing games, listening to music, etc.)? Are there some things that cause it and some that don't? Do you have the settings "maxed out?"

6. Conderoga

Conderoga Thread Starter

for the most part I'm not using the soubdcard for much, just listening to music and the standard sound effects in winows and aim. Nothing that should be too demanding one would think. It pretty much happens everytime any noise on the computer plays and when it happens everything lags for about 15-20 seconds.

7. shinybeast

shinybeast

If the drivers are correct and audio enhancements are disabled, I'm at a loss. Does it do this with every sound from boot or is it triggered by playing an audio file or playing an audio file with digital rights management? If you can remember anything that might have changed immediately before it started, it could help point to the problem. Nothing's ever crashed, just lags, correct?

8. Conderoga

Conderoga Thread Starter

Correct, all the drivers are up to date, and the lagging only occurs after the OS is loaded. Nothing has ever crashed either, just lag during any noise. Thanks for your input though! I appreciate it! The search just continues..

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice