1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Network - Shared Files Gone

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SierraSpray, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SierraSpray

SierraSpray Thread Starter

Last week on of the users on our network opened a file called "UPS Delivery Slip" I have removed the virus from the computers but I can't figure out why I can no longer access printers/files or my own computer on the network. I can see all the computers I can access any computer but when I click my computer on the network I get "The service has not started blah blah" I uninstalled the network and the drivers I even changed the computer name and work group still nothing. When going into the network sharing center and I select share files and folders instead of ON/Off it displays the word "Custom" and I can not right click any folder and share the option has completely been removed as well as all my old shared folders. I don't know what else to do any assistance on this would be a big help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Check that all your network services are Started:
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations only)
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

3. SierraSpray

SierraSpray Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. When I got into the office this morning the computers that had Norton on it no longer have Norton on them =) so I am sure I have a virus somewhere now just to find it and what it has done to my computers. The computers that had AVG on them are ok and are running fine the network problem was on a computer that had Norton. So here is what happened when I tried to start the services.

OK - COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    ERROR: Computer Browser (Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.)
    OK - DHCP Client
    OK - DNS Client
    OK - Network Connections
    OK - Network Location Awareness
    OK - Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    ERROR - Server (Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion)
    OK - TCP/IP Netbios helper
    NOT REQUIRED - Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
    ERROR - WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations only) (Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.)
    OK - Workstation

What are my next options? I am about to do a full reinstall I don't want to but I can't have the network down all week again.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For malware help read this thread. Post the requested HJT log for one of the systems here, and tell us how many computers are involved (how many Norton, how may AVG).

I will try to get somebody to take a look at the log. Be aware that the malware experts are extremely busy, and it is very possible that getting help will take longer (calendar time) then format/install.

For those services not running you can double click to open the Properties and look on the Dependencies tab to see what they depend on, and trace back to see what is the underlying cause. They all have Remote Procedure Call as a prerequisite, but that one is running.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice