1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista network - will not allow access to one drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kiwidoc, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwidoc

kiwidoc Thread Starter

Hi all.

I have an annoying problem. I use a vista home pc as a basic file server, storing music, photos and other files for the whole family.

I can access all the shared folders on C:/ on the machine with no problems but as this drive was getting full, I installed a new drive, E:/ I intended to use a subfolder (Great Repository) as a universal store for everything. I had some success for a while, despite the fact that I had to enter a username and password each time.
    Installing AVG internet security totally stopped access (now fixed by turning off the firewall)
    I have only been able to access the Repository files intermittently. More often than not, I get a message saying that it is not accessible or that I do not have permission to access it. Sometimes, however, I am able to access and read the data. I have no trouble with files in any other drive.
    As far as I can tell, I have given full permission to do everything to everybody, including me.

I access the resource using another vista home premium PC and a win 7 home premium pc. Both have the same problems.

I have seen that this is not in and of itself an uncommon problem, but I cannot find any way to solve the trouble when one drive is accessible and another not.

I should very much appreciate any tips you could offer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice