1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by g0cgl, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. g0cgl

g0cgl Thread Starter

I have 3 machines on my LAN and I have a PPPoA broadband connection using a Netgear DG814 ethernet modem/router. I use DHCP to set the public (static) ip and private ip (192.168.0.2) on my main machine and fix the others at 0.3 and 0.4 - previously my OS was XP Pro and all was fine.
    I have changed to Vista Ultimate. Now, all is still fine for approx 2 days uptime but at some random point after that I get a problem. Firstly I cannot browse or get emails but I run a server that takes external connections and any pre-existing connections stay connected and data is still transferred. So I have an internet connection it seems of some sort. I can ping my machines on the LAN but cannot connect to any (eg telnet to a server on port 23). I cannot access the setup page of the modem on 192.168.0.1 either.
    Secondly, after a while the situation worsens as ping fails as well. The only solution I've found is to reboot the computer - I don't need to restart the modem. Clearly Vista is the issue because I can pinpoint the start of this to when I first changed to this OS. A google search reveals an increasing number of similar stories day by day as the take up of Vista increases but I've not seen any solutions.
    Things I have tried: turning off the firewall, netsh winsock reset, ipconfig release & renew, disabling IPv4 checksum offload, fixing the LAN ips so as not to be reliant on DHCP. None of these has helped. So if anyone on here has any ideas, please let me know.

2. gurutech

gurutech

If you have IPv6 installed, try uninstalling it. I had that problem on the Beta 2 and RC1/RC2 installs. I haven't installed the RTM yet, but from the looks of it, that issue hasn't been resolved completely.

3. g0cgl

g0cgl Thread Starter

Thanks - do you really mean uninstall? I can deselect IPv6 in the Local Area Connection properties box (where is says the connection uses the following items) but uninstall doesn't seem to be an option. However, I have followed your advice best I know how by deselecting it and have to now wait to see what happens.

4. g0cgl

g0cgl Thread Starter

Problem still exists after deselecting IPv6. I have also tried changing the NIC and I will try a different modem/router but could still use any other suggestions. Thanks.

5. g0cgl

g0cgl Thread Starter

Problem solved so I'm posting what happened in case it helps someone else: another change of NIC was the answer. The orginal was the on-board Nvidia LAN which worked fine in XP but has problems in Vista. I changed, as noted in my previous post, to a Netgear FA311 and this also had the same problem. I have changed to a Netgear GA311 and all is now fine. The Nvidia on-board LAN, on a MSI K8N Neo mobo does not have Vista drivers and neither does the FA311. But the GA311 does and this makes a difference. Some older networking hardware seems not to like Vista.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice