1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Networking Problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Alucard-, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alucard-

Alucard- Thread Starter

Greetings,

I am having huge problems with a Vista Based network, in a computer education center.

The network consists of 30 computers which all of them are running dual boot Vista SP1 and Windows XP Pro SP3. All of them are getting IP's based on a DHCP server.

20 out of 30 computers have Deep Freeze Workstation installed for those pesky kids lurking in Limewire and also for the "unattended administration" of unwanted applications getting installed without anyone's permission.

All the computers have Nod32 3.0 installed (maybe i should uninstall it due to Deep Freeze being installed).

The problem i am facing is with a Network Shared Printer as well as with a Fileserver i have set up so that they can store all their class files without them getting erased by Deep Freeze. I have redirected the "My Documents" folder to the File Server using the File Server's IP and not its Network Name.

The Printer seems to get lost from time to time to several computers, but with a simple restart it magically reappears. The "host" of the network shared printer is running Vista SP1 at all times.

Some computers also lose the path to the redirected "My Documents" folder, which i also sometimes gets fixed up by restarting the system or by re-directing the "My Documents" folder by defaulting it to the computers normal folder (C:\Users\User\Documents) and redirecting it to the File Server.

Its very annoying getting called EVERY friggin' day to fix those small but important problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

2. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

I'm not familiar with network printers but I'll give you my 2c.
    Not sure if Printers have IPs, but you could try setting a static IP, the IP probably changes all the time.
    Even better, have the computers recognize its mac address, which cannot be changed

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice