1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vista nightmare - please help !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kate4885, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kate4885

kate4885 Thread Starter

Hello ,

I have a gateway computer which I brought 3 years ago, I came with Vista basic home pre installed, It worked perfectly then about 6 months ago it started to slow down. It took ages to start up then any programme would take forever to get going.

Now every programme becomes unresponsive and I have to wait for it to respond or end - in truth even this has started to take so long that I have to resort to just turning the bloody thing off. I have tried everything including :-

running defragger
    C Cleaner
    running spyware / spybot programmes
    checking for disc drives errors
    empty recycle bin
    disabling every programme on start up ( it took 50 minutes to get Windows defender to even work ! )
    adjusting the setting to things like - visual effects to best performance
    moving virtually everything to an external hard drive except Itunes ( which is 13 Gb)

I cant check for updates because that programme is unresponsive -

things are so bad that the computer is unusable as nothing works.

I decided to erase vista and load windows XP but Vista wont die !!!!

when i went to load XP it all went well until the end when it said that it couldnt find the hard drive discs. I looked on the internet to discover that gateways dont have SATA drivers ( i have no idea what this means ) and that you have to load a programme from the gateway website.

I cannot do this as it requires creation of a floppy disc drive or the use of a USB floppy disc drive - i have neither. I have tried trying to create a CD or put the programme on a USB stick but the gateway programme that creates what ever is needed on boot up does not recognise these and so wont create to programme. So i cannot load XP

I am on the verge of chucking the computer in the bin but I cannot afford another right now........

can anyone suggest a way to get it working

or, load XP

or I have been told that I can up grade to windows & but Im reluctant to spend money on a computer that doesnt work at all

the performance score is 3.0

the hard drive is split in to C and D drives - C drive has the operating system on it and it says it has used 53 Gb and has 13 Gb left

ive tried to find what Ram is left but surprise surprise windows explorer was unresponsive

if any one has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it as I have returned from maternity leave and need this computer for work but I cant even type a letter on it !!!!! (im using another computer to type this as I have no way of getting internet explorer to work on the other one )

thank you so much

X k

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

And what does your D drive contain? Maybe it is the Vista backup files and maybe you can restore Vista from the D drive?
    Look at your manual, it should show you how to do it.
    If you don't have the manual, go to your Laptop site, it usually has a place where you can download the manual for it.

Speaking of backups, did your laptop come with any Backup/Restore CDs or DVDs?

Good luck

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Have you had a look at what's running at Start Up by using msconfig? Guide with screenshots here http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html

don't make changes you're not sure about but it's a good idea to reduce what's running at start up to the minimum.

Richard

4. njelimetz

njelimetz

same here. I've been fighting my share of Vista's torture since the 15th of this month.

since you are able to get online, I believe you have another computer? why don't you just plug off the hard drive in your gateway computer, plug it to the one you're using to go online, or other's computer (owner must be willing to help you of course), and format it from that computer? then you're going to have a clean hard drive to write your windows XP to.

in my experience slowness for an aging computer usually is caused by either a failing component (in my case, either hard drive or video card), "garbage" from browsing the internet are piling up too much, or the hard drive contains a lot more programs that it can handle (because we add, add, but don't realize the performance). maybe you want to see if adding more memory (RAM, SDRAM, whatever the tech people call it) would help with the slowness?

5. kate4885

kate4885 Thread Starter

thank you for that

the other computer I have is a little thing and I doubt it would be up to the job

I have taken all the programmes off the computer and cleaned it of everything - i dont know whether its my itunes library but Im going to run that off an external drive to see what happens

personally i just think its vista being crap

x kate

6. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

A well maintained Vista with SP2 is not crap and runs pretty good. I had it for about 2 years withought problems, the only reason I went to Win7 is :
    A)I jumped on the Half Price deal way back and
    B)I LOVE playing around with New OS'

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice