1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista, no sound problem.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Clintonio, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Clintonio

Clintonio Thread Starter

Hello.
    Today I encountered a problem, one I have had before. Last time I resolved it by formatting, because I had the time to waste doing so. But now I don't want to waste my time, nor have to configure my machine all over again.

I updated my Vista, from no updates, to all recent updates, and suddenly my Realtek HD audio on 1.79 drivers stopped outputting any sound. So I attempted to upgrade to 1.81. This worked to no avail. I then uninstalled all of the updates, again to no avail.

You could say "system restore", but I've got another strange problem with this PC and Vista: It can't shut down and it can't restart. It has persisted on all 3 of my Vista installations, and I am not sure why. So System Restore is entirelly out of the question, so is formatting.

Device Manager says no problems.
    All applications say they can't access the sound.
    The Realtek HD Audio manager doesn't output sound either, it doesn't even show signs of working.
    All settings would indicate that the sound levels are above 0.
    All media players and sound applications do the same - Nothing.
    DirectX Diagnostics tell me that it has issues accessing the sound.

Please help^^ It's a problem I'd like to be able to solve so I can once again reinstall the updates rather than having to format again.

Edit: I found out that I could use my Vista disk to system restore and it worked. Yet I'd still want to upgrade my Vista at some point, and if I can't have sound then I still have the problem...

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did you do a driver update, if so just don't include that one, you get a choice. I have always avoided Windows driver updates.

3. Clintonio

Clintonio Thread Starter

I may have done. But it seems to be fixed now. I'll certainly follow that advise, but moreso I'm not even going to update Vista now, aside the security patches.

4. lilybug

lilybug

My husband downloaded a couple of updates the other day including an update to the Realtek HD Audio Driver, and now we have no sound. Have tried reverting to previous versions but still not working. Could you please explain what it is that I have to do to resolve this problem? thank you. Lily

5. Clintonio

Clintonio Thread Starter

I've had the problem 3 times. The second and third times I fixed it by system restoring a few days back.
    The first time though (When I made this thread), Vista decided that system restore wasn't going to work. So I had to use a not-so-elegent method of formatting my Operating System Partition. Obviously most people aren't willing to format their OS away on demand unlike myself (It only takes 15 minutes to get my HDD quick formatted and Vista to be fully installed).

So, trying system restore is the best bet.

PS. My Vista could actually shut down. It just took a long long time to do it. Up to 5 minutes to even realise I'd hit the shut down button. Funnily enough it can boot in a few seconds, but takes forever to dissapear ¬_¬

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice