1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vista not booting- short DST failed

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by john2010, Jan 4, 2011.

?

vista not booting

1. none

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. none

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john2010

john2010 Thread Starter

My hp 6730b laptop is not booting .I noticed when i run diagnostic test.The test keeps failing. The error displayed is Short DST -failed and then the following error code is displayed- OSMP3F-GFX5BD-XD6XGJ-6OQLO3.I know that prior to this time I had tried to install the driver of a new printer but finally cancelled the installation because it required the driver and I didn’t have it because the printer belongs to my relative and he wasn’t available at the time. I can't afford to run HP recovery because i have information that i can not afford to lose on it. I am unable to log in as a system administrator because the system keeps telling me i have the wrong password when i know i do.My system did not come with a windows installer cd. I have tried to create a booting cd and changing the booting order on the bios of my system ,but i notice that cd booting does not excist in the core booting options.I have also tried to create a booting USB....but in creating that one of the steps is that you copy files from a windows installer CD . I have tried to create the windows installer cd but it didn't work.I noticed that when i put in the USB without completing the installation.my system attempted to boot from the USB but was unable to because all the files required were not available.

2. valis

valis Moderator

DST stands for disk self test, and if it's failing that, your HD is rapidly failing. I'd backup whatever data you want to keep off of that drive asap, and see if HP will warranty out the HD.

3. john2010

john2010 Thread Starter

Thanks valis,but i am not a techhy as such .How do i back up when i can't access my files via windows

4. valis

valis Moderator

your best option would be to take it to a local computer shop (not a big chain, just a local mom and pop shop) and have them remove the disk and transfer the data to a new disk that you will have to purchase. If you still have your original installation cd's for the OS you will need those as well.

If you have a second computer, and are comfortable doing so, it's relatively easy to get the drive out and place it in a USB enclosure; you would then be able to see the data (hopefully) on the second computer as a usb drive, and could then copy the data off yourself.

5. john2010

john2010 Thread Starter

Hello Valis,Thanks again for your quick response. The problem is that i am on vacation and not in my home country. The problem is with my work laptop ,which i travelled with because i was going to work on some major project items . I was hoping that i could get a solution thaqt will enable me to at least boot the system so that i can move the vital files out and then allow my I.T work collegues do their thing when i resume work. My I.T work collegues have already confirmed that they can do nothing until i get back.

I currently do not have a lot of cash on me and my host is not techy and has an incredibly busy schedule. Thanks anyway.I guess i'll just wait and see if i'll get more help on getting the system booted.
    Thanks for your help

6. valis

valis Moderator

Yup. Especially since it's a business pc, you will very likely find that no business will want to take charge and pull the data off of it; I would assume you can understand that given your current employment. :)

Best thing to do? Turn it off, leave it off, pack it gently and get it to your IT department softly as possible. After all, it is their laptop, and not yours. They should be able to get the data off quite easily; the main thing is to cease using it immediately.

thanks,

v

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice