1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista not detecting Video Card (nVidia)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sarilith, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarilith

sarilith Thread Starter

Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
    EVGA E-Geforce 8800gtx 768mb
    --
    AMD FX-60 2.6ghz
    3gb PC4000 DDR500
    --

Every time I install vista, and it does the performance check, my graphics score is 1.

I've tried setting it to automatically install all updates, and I've tried setting it to only install critical updates.

Every time I go to install drivers for my video card (nVidia 8 series win vista 32 bit) it stops and says the install program could not locate drivers compatible with my current hardware.

After I closed it, the Program compatability wizard popped up, so I selected "install using different settings" or whatever that option is when something fails to install.

The install failed in the same spot, this time telling me the version of vista I was using was not 32 bit (I'm guessing said compatability wizard sets it to a different version to try to get the install to work)

Anyway, this isn't the first time I've had this problem. I tried installing vista about 2 months ago, same problem. I searched for a few days, and finally gave up.

I decided to try installing again because of a guide in PC Gamer magazine about dual booting vista beside xp on different partitions.

My question is: How do I get Vista to detect my 8800? I've installed all the updates the automatic updater listed. I've searched extensively. Most forum search functions are rubbish... that, or I'm using the wrong keywords.

Google searching failed. Closest thing to what I'm actually looking for was a Yahoo! Answers question. In that case, it was someone who had bought a dell who needed to go to the dell website and download drivers there. (I don't have a Dell, but I did go there and tried to install those drivers too)

Vista tech support is going to cost me like 60 bucks for an inquiry. EVGA tech support requires a serial number that I don't have. Nvidia forums have 100 page threads... and the search function produces nothing. I can't read through 100 pages of people posting about nonrelated problems, I'll go insane!

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it! All I need is for vista to say "Hey look! A video card! Yes sir, I'll tell those drivers to finish installing right away!"

*Note: The card works perfectly fine in XP...but in Vista its no go.

I'm going to try safe mode, see if I can install there. Pretty sure I already tried this last time I installed vista though... so we'll see.
    Edit: Nah, safe mode does nothing...still says it can't find compatible drivers for my card...

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. sarilith

sarilith Thread Starter

My 8800 has never installed correctly in Vista.

It runs perfectly fine in XP though.

Its a fresh install on the second partition of my hard drive. (BUT I had this problem before on a completely fresh install of Vista alone, and eventually had to format and reinstall XP)

No, that doesn't sound like my problem.

When I go into the display settings (adapter and whatnot) everything is listed as VGASave. The option to go into Driver Details is grayed out.

As for trying the card in a different slot...well honestly, I don't think it will FIT. I'll see if I can get it to though.

4. sarilith

sarilith Thread Starter

Edit: Ah joy... I spoke too soon. I can install the drivers, but they do nothing... because my video card still isn't being detected?? I don't know...

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

This is a retail Microsoft disk you are using for the install?

Their tech support won't cost you anything if you qualify (and retail purchase does) -- but you will have to provide a credit card number just the same.

However, given that this was not a system which previously ran Vista, one has to ask whether the system board on which this Vista version is being installed is known to be Vista compatible or might require a BIOS upgrade.

6. sarilith

sarilith Thread Starter

Yeah, found out, drivers did install... but now I'm getting Code 12 (not enough resources) which apparently requires a bios upgrade to fix...

Now I have to figure THAT out...

Since I have no floppy drive I'm going to have to figure out if its possible to upgrade through windows.

If not... XP it is

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/638708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice