1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista OEM Home Premium - Internet problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DomerJen, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DomerJen

DomerJen Thread Starter

My husband built a new computer for us (first time) and we installed Vista Home Premium 64bit (OEM) yesterday. It will not connect to the internet. He has tried connecting just through the modem, as well as through our router (Linksys WRT54G) with an ethernet cable. No connection either way, but the IP address is showing 192. etc...

Vista says "unidentified network" and "access; local only"

Has anyone had this problem? We were on the phone w/ Comcast for an hour last night, and we don't think it's a problem with them.

Any help is greatly appreciated - we're at our wits end, since we have no other support options.

2. magtech

magtech

You will need the 64 bit drive for the modem and it sounds like your nic card needs a new 64 bit driver ( big problem with 64 bit is that the number of functioning drivers are limited your cable company will not have the 64 driver for the usb modem yet)

not sure what is available on the 64 bit drivers yet

good luck

3. DomerJen

DomerJen Thread Starter

so until comcast gets a 64bit driver for their modem, we're SOL? perhaps we should exchange the vista 64bit for the 32bit?

4. magtech

magtech

The 32 Bit Version is also on the install disk comes with both ( would wait until more drivers are availible for 64bit

Good luck

5. DomerJen

DomerJen Thread Starter

Maybe that is just with the full version? Ours (OEM) did not come w/ the 32bit. :(

6. magtech

magtech

Try going into the control panel and click on the network and sharing center make sure the network discovery is on if everything is ok try using the set up a network connection wizard

( make sure the modem is connected to the linksys and you run a cable from the router to the machine)

good luck

7. magtech

magtech

You can also go into the diagnose and repair section ( this will look like the old network connection in xp and try repairing the connection.)

Hope this all helps good luck

m

8. samfowler11

samfowler11

I have also had a similar problem, the connection to my router is working correctly and I can access my home network but I cannot connect to the internet. I have tried my Isp for help, but they couldnt solve it.

My problem didnt start immediately after I installed Vista, it connected fine for about 24 hours then stopped and work after that.

I am using windows Vista 64 bit and a Netgear DG834G. There were some suggestions (somewhere on google) that the Windows Vista Performance update 1.0 may have caused problems with internet connections. I havent tried to remove this as of yet, I'm not sure if it even installed when I was briefly online but this may be one solution.

9. mrss

mrss Guest

You don't need a cable modem driver if you're connected to the WRT54G via ethernet.

Can you get the setup screen on the router? I have the same router and the address is http://192.168.1.1

If you can, then the LAN interface in your new PC is working. I would think it is or you wouldn't have the IP 192.168.1.xxx assigned to your new PC. Did you get that number via ipconfig?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice