1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista OEM vs. Vista Retail

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by TheFlash24, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheFlash24

TheFlash24 Thread Starter

2. GodforSaken

GodforSaken

The Retail one is more expensive because it comes with the 32bit and 64bit copies.. and you can choose for urself to which one to install..

the OEM one comes either 32bit or the 64bit, but u cant have both copies. thats why it's more cheaper then the Retail.

and btw if you by any chance buy the Retail one u can send me the 64bit copy :p

3. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Oem's come with no support from Microsoft and can not be transferred to anther computer. The license lives and dies with the first computer it is installed on.

Retail's on the other hand come with Microsoft's support and are not tied to one computer. it can be transferred to another computer.

4. GodforSaken

GodforSaken

and all that too ofcourse that i forgot to mention. :)

5. TheFlash24

So if i buy the reatail i'll have unlimited # of licenses?

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    :confused: When I got my 32 bit .. It came with the offer for a free 64bit version ... shipping not included.

I'm thinking this one ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116141
    Needs a previous Vista Basic or Home premium (maybe XP) installed ... to Upgrade from

7. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

No, you'll only be licensed for one computer. But if say that computer were to die you could transfer the license to another computer where as an oem copy is not transferable and would die with the original computer it was installed on.

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Not quite. What Rick means is that you can install the retail version on one PC, then if you decide later to move it to another PC, you can delete it from the first PC and install it on another. As many times as you want so long as it is install on only one PC at a time.

The license agreement for OEM says you can install it one one PC, and it can never be moved to another.

9. TheFlash24

Ok i got ya! Well im going to maybe get a copy of retail but i just may wait until SP1 comes out.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  11. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Actually if you want to run more than 2 computers, you'll need to buy Volume License Key.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice