1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista on desktop and Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gaffajoiner, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaffajoiner

gaffajoiner Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a new sony laptop with Vista Business upgrade disk from Sony, and a Dell desktop with windows XP pro, with a router, can i install the Vista disk on the desktop ? or will i have to buy a Vista Business upgrade disk.

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Depends on the type of upgrade disk you got for your laptop. In any case, you will only be able to activate one of them.

Courtney sends....

3. gaffajoiner

Hi
    Thanks for for the reply, just looked at the disk, it says for use only as an upgrade to a qualifying sony pc, so i will buy an upgrade one, thanks again for your support

4. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    This may/may not be of much help: I purchased a new HP computer (Windows XP) last September. It came with a free Vista upgrade certificate. I eventually ordered the upgrade DVD and in a couple of months it arrived. It lay in my software shelf for about 4-5 months and I finally decided to try it as I was about to do a reformat and reinstall anyway. I made my pre-install file saves, unplugged all my external equipment etc. I put the DVD in and it pretty much walked me thru the whole process. It offered me the option of doing a clean install, which I did. In a couple of hours and with only a minimum of restarts it completed. It picked up all of my internal hardware and my Linksys wireless router without a hitch. I plugged in my printer, scanner, joystick, Wacom tablet etc, one at a time and it picked all of them up, again with no problems. I did have drivers preselected for them and the only one I have used is for the scanner. The printer and graphics tablet drivers built in to Vista have functioned at least as well as they did with the drivers I had used on Windows XP Pro. I have also not had any problems with any of the software/games that I was using with XP Pro except for my System Suite 7. It installed and was partially functional. Avanquest has a Vista fix on site for about $10. Since the fix/patch is for the same version that I already have I think it should have been no charge. I am currently testing Kaspersky and am pretty sure that it is the one I will go with. I tested Microsoft One Care also. In short...I would insert the DVD and see if it works. It should notifiy you if it is designed exclusively for the laptop. My impression of the DVD that HP sent me is that it is an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium and likely would have worked on any of my machines. By the way I did wait about a week before I activated it, just in case ;)
    P.S. I can provide a complete list of software/hardware if desired.

5. gaffajoiner

Hi Alwrmc
    I got my disk the same as you did took 2.5 months to receive and it is an OEM one, will you please send me the list, i think i will put the disk in my desktop and see if i get a pop up message to say it will install, at 72 i am a bit weary dont want to mess my machine up.

6. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    gaffajoiner: I PM'd the info.

7. gaffajoiner

Hi Alwrmc
    Thanks for the list,

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice