1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista on Mac

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by wwatfa, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wwatfa

wwatfa Thread Starter

I am thinking of buying a laptop MAC. but parallel to the OS system i am hoping to install a VISTA copy.

my questions are :

1. is there any problems (for the laptop itself if vista is installed?)
    2. will i be able to use all the MAC components ? (dvd drive, flash drive ...)
    3. Will any program built for Vista work on the laptop ? (software, games ...)
    4. how would be the performance of the MAC running under vista ?

thanks

2. VegasACF

VegasACF

1. None, other than those that Vista creates for any computer on which it is installed.

2. I'm not sure if the keyboard backlighting is supported, but other than that, to my knowledge, yes (if someone else has more knowledge please feel free to contradict me). BootCamp creates a disk of drivers that must be installed after the Windows installation is complete.

3. To my knowledge, yes.

4. This is too open-ended a question to answer with complete accuracy, but if the Mac you buy falls within the requirements listed for the software it should the software run as well as any other computer with the same specs.

3. namenotfound

namenotfound

Either get a large hard drive or don't install updates. I have a 120GB MacBook Pro and installed Vista via VMWare Fusion, it said there was around 60 or-so updates, as I was installing them I quickly ran out of space. And since it was in the middle of installing updates, I couldn't stop it. I could only shut down Vista in the middle, and remove the files from VMWare Fusion to regain hard drive space.

So you can have Vista, but I wouldn't download any of the updates unless you have a large enough hard drive.

4. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

no there aren't any compatibility issues with any sort of software as far as running windows on a mac. i'm not sure about the keyboard backlight either, but from what i hear, some people say vista actually runs better on a mac computer than it does on a PC.

as far as performance. since it could potentially run better than it would on a PC, vista should run just as quickly and efficiently as the regular mac OS. well... *almost* as efficiently. mac OS blows windows out of the water in my opinion.

and yes, as long you use boot camp assistant you shouldn't have any problems installing windows. i've heard recommended partition size was 32gb of space for installing vista. if you plan on doing a lot of stuff with it, you might just consider splitting your hard drive in half. i would recomment 32gb if you're not going to do much on it. but i've heard 20gb would be okay too if you are only going to mess with it a little.

let us know if you have any other questions!

5. namenotfound

namenotfound

20gb isn't enough if you plan on updating, I had mine set at 20 and, well you read what happened above...

6. dannyn

dannyn

Make sure you use bootcamp!

7. wwatfa

wwatfa Thread Starter

thanks for the reply ! i will test it soon !

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice