1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista on XP Network

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nycdenny, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nycdenny

nycdenny Thread Starter

Hi!.
    So i have an XP network that has worked with no problems at all. I have recently purchased a new Vaio with Vista Home Premium installed and cannot for the life of me get it to see other computers on the network or be seen-- I have given it the same "workgroup" name as the others and it has its own computer name-- but nothing-- what am i forgetting?? do i have to tweak something in vista??.. in XP i just ran the network setup wizard and it was all done-- [email protected] (thanks!)

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

What type of network do you have it set up as?

Start -> control Panel -> Network and sharing center

This should be Private network (It will make it the easiest at least)

Attached Files:

3. nycdenny

nycdenny Thread Starter

yup- it is a private network..

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

OK, same screen.

Are all the sharing options you want lights green (enabled)

When you click the network Icon can you see your folders that your sharing and the other systems?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is there any 3rd party firewall software that may be installed?
    Can all computers ping all other computers by IP and Name?

6. nycdenny

nycdenny Thread Starter

in the "network and sharing center" if i click on the bottom link that says "show me all the shared network folders on this computer" it will open up another window with 5 things: Downloads (folder), Public (folder), QuickBooksPDF Converter; Send to OneNote2007, and Printers.. however if i double click on the folder "downloads" it doesn't access anything-- says it is unavailable??..

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So no third party firewalls and all computers can successfully ping all other computers by IP and Name?

8. nycdenny

nycdenny Thread Starter

Well on the Vista Box there is Norton Protection center and the same on the XP box (different versions).. but i have other computers in the "trusted zone".. when i try to add the vista box IP it says it is already there..
    i can ping the xp box from the vista box and vice versa--

9. nycdenny

nycdenny Thread Starter

OH!.. just so you know- these computers are attached to a router .. as background-- i pulled one of the old xp machines off the network and attached the new vista box to that ethernet cable -- so i know that it worked with the old xp box..

10. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Router have a built in firewall?

What are its settings?

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can ping by both IP and Name, it is at least not a firewall problem.

12. jmwills

jmwills

To add to the long list of questions...are you running One Care Live?

13. nycdenny

nycdenny Thread Starter

ok so-- i just left it last night and went to bed--
    this morning.. VOILA!.. it sees the other computer and im copying files to the vista box right now...??? HUH???>. thanks for the quick responses and help/thoughts!..

14. mikeotis

mikeotis

I have the same problem and have tried everything with no luck.
    Windows firewall and security turned off.
    All file and printer sharing on
    Workgroup named to the rest of the network
    Even disabled all of the Norton protection to test, with no luck
    I thought maybe you got a windows update which brought relief?

I have a Linksys BEFSR81 router which seemed to need IPX/SPX network protocal for file sharing for XP Home. IPX/SPX is not available in Vista. I moved the XP IPX/SPX files for the protocal to the Vista machine to manually select, but then it didn't have a digital signature :(

Since I have the exact scenario, I an trying to see what you did that fixed it.

Thanks.

Mike

15. Charliesmomu

Charliesmomu

Mike, I know someone else mentioned this but have you tried manually adding your XP computer to Norton Protections trusted zone?
    I have Two computers running XP (the mainbrain with my router and a laptop) and a new Vista and I couldn't get Vista to 'see' Xp ones or vice versa. After I downloaded the microsoft patch which enabled Vista to see Mainbrain http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120, Vista could SEE my mainbrain but not access it.

Next I went into Norpton protection into settings and firewall stuff and added the IP address of mainbrain into Vistas trusted zone..also added the default gateway addy incase, and hey presto... I can now access mainbrain and the other XP laptop no probs.

Don' know if that helps any of if you have tried that. I'm a trial and error person with no techie knowlege but I refuse to be beaten by a machine:D
    Jules

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice