1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista PC just shows black screen instead of desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Jalfrezi, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jalfrezi

Jalfrezi Thread Starter

Apologies if this post is in the wrong section but as I am unsure of the cause of the problem I thought I'd start assuming it is a fault with the OS.

I'm having a strange problem with my PC which runs Windows Vista Home Premium. Everything was OK the other night when I switched off but when I switched on last night the following happens:
    • it boots up normally and I get the Vista login screen
    • after signing in, the 'waiting' graphic takes longer than normal and I get no login 'sound' jingle
    • at the point where it would normally reveal my desktop it opens up to the 'Documents' folder instead
    • when I close the Documents folder all I get is a totally black screen with the mouse pointer - no wallpaper, no shortcut icons and nothing at all along the foot of the screen (i.e. no Start button, startup programs or system tray) so basically I cannot access anything at this point
    • I can access Task Manager by using Ctrl-Alt-Del and I'm able to logoff/restart etc.
    • none of the shortcut buttons on the keyboard will work (e.g. email, internet, calculator etc.)
    I have rebooted a number of times in the vain hope it would return to normal but no joy. The only thing I can think of that was out of the ordinary was just before I'd finished with the PC a couple of nights ago I ran Spybot S&D and it found 2 suspicious entries which I immediately asked it to fix, which it did successfully. Unfortunately I did not take note of what these unwanted entries were as I was in a rush. I am therefor unsure if this is related to the problem. One thing I havn't yet tried is trying to boot into Safe Mode which I shall try tonight.

In case anyone is wondering I have posted this information from my PC at work.

Does any of these symptoms ring a bell and is there anything I can do to retrieve the situation?

2. Megabite

Megabite

3. Jalfrezi

Jalfrezi Thread Starter

Hi there

Thanks for the quick response. I have printed off that instruction about the Registry. I just hope that a Safe Mode boot and System Restore will cure things as I have no means of starting 'regedit' without a Start button! :)

4. Megabite

Megabite

Let us know how it goes....

5. Jalfrezi

Jalfrezi Thread Starter

Thanks. (y) If it doesn't go well it will be next Tuesday before I can post on here again as I am off work for the Easter weekend, starting tonight!

6. Megabite

Megabite

Bad luck......or maybe your one of the lucky ones...:)

7. Jalfrezi

Jalfrezi Thread Starter

Sorry, one thing I should have pointed out is that the PC is a desktop machine. Reason for clarifying this is that when I did a Google search on "Vista black screen after logon" a lot of laptops seem to suffer from a similar sort of problem. A fix for them seems to be to remove and reseat their battery which doesn't apply to my problem of course. Cheers.

8. Jalfrezi

Jalfrezi Thread Starter

Well the long weekend will be a welcome break but not having my PC is like having my right arm cut off. :)

9. Jalfrezi

Jalfrezi Thread Starter

Megabite - I did a system restore tonight and that has cured it, although I did have to go back to one from a couple of weeks ago as the first one didn't work. Thanks for your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice