1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Photo Gallery Viewer Destroying Photos in Thumbnail View

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jdtdandl, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdtdandl

jdtdandl Thread Starter

(n) BEWARE ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS. VISTA RUINS PHOTOS.(n)

We bought a new system that runs Vista. Lucky us. We are trying to copy year’s worth of photos onto new system. Photos are ruined as Vista displays them in thumbnail view. Make sure you have a back-up because once your photos are loaded onto Vista they are ruined. All photos are jpg files taken with several different cameras.

Here are several samples using the Vista Photo Gallery Viewer

[​IMG]

I have been on the telephone with Microsoft technical support for hours trying to resolve this issue. We have run a system scan and it came out clean. We do not have a virus. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution?? HELP

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Are you by any chance using a HP Digital camera to take photos with ?if you are I can maybe suggest a solution or workround the problem....

3. jdtdandl

jdtdandl Thread Starter

Not using a HP Camera. The cameras used are Canon and Kodak. I would be willing to try your suggestion or workaround. Thanks for the help

4. telecom69

No it wont work because its specific to HP as far as I know and after a second read of your problem I see that its happening with year old photos ..do you have Picasa on your computer? if not would suggest you download it from here http://picasa.google.com/ its completlly free and a great program,it will display all photos on your computer and you can see how they appear in there,and from it you can do almost anything with photos too ....after doing a short search it seems that you are not the only one with that problem

5. jdtdandl

jdtdandl Thread Starter

It is also happening with new photos. I plugged my camera card in of weekend soccer photos and lost those also. I had to reformat my camera card because Vista would not let me delete the files. I noticed that some of the files were name.jpg.jpg. I have been researching this problem for about 5 months. There are many users with the same problem. I told Microsoft tech help that this problem is well over a year old and someone should have been able to come up with a solution by now. If Microsoft is able to come up with a solution I will post it. Thanks for your help.

6. telecom69

I dont have Vista so cant really comment, I had this same problem with an HP camera I once had and it was called horizontal banding,but the problem was with the camera and not the operating system,the workround said to set up the camera as a drive instead of camera in the menu and it worked,but you had to do that every time you used the camera or a lot of the photos, not all, appeared like yours do ....in the end I got another camera....I urge you to at least give Picasa a try to see if your photos display ok,it might be just the picture gallery that is causing the problem .....

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you checked with Gateway, if so what did they say?

Does this machine have only 1 gig of RAM?
    How many photos are in this folder?
    Under properties of the Folder, and then the Customize tab, what type of folder it it, Pictures and Videos or some other type?

8. jdtdandl

jdtdandl Thread Starter

Gateway says it is a Microsoft problem. The system is not that old. Vista came loaded on it.

The system spec

Processor - AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5000+, 64-bit dual core processor
    · Each core operates at 2.6 GHz
    · 2 × 512 MB L2 cache
    · 2000 MHz system bus

Memory Installed: 2048 MB DDR2, 667 MHz, (PC2-5300) dual channel memory (two 1024 MB DIMMs)

Harddrive - 500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drive

There is nothing else in the folder. One folder copied on a stick with 12 .jpg files in it. All files are corrupted.

I downloaded Picasa 2 on my system as someone suggested. I copied a new folder and placed 4 photos that we just took. All of them look the same as above. New .jpg files taken with a different camera and they look the same. ONLY ON VISTA MACHINE ARE THEY CORRUPTED. The same files are FINE IN XP. The XP machine is older and has less memory. Talked with Microsoft tech support again today and they are trying to find a solution. Until I googled it I thought it was my machine, but there are many consumers with the same problem. Unfortunately some have lost most of their photo collection. It only took one time of downloading from my camera and loosing the photos. I have stopped using the Vista machine except to do testing. Basically I am stuck with a older machine until there is a solution found. Looks like Vista cannot handle the raw data of .jpg files.

Below are just a few sites

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/windows-vista-destroys-photo-metadata-235461.php#c957137

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2190309&SiteID=17&pageid=1

https://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?pageindex=5&siteid=17&postid=2190309&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=4

http://forums.techguy.org/digital-photography-imaging/598425-corrupt-jpegs-upon-copying-vista-3.html

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice