1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista problem, limited connectivity and unidentified network

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jobool, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jobool

jobool Thread Starter

Hi, im trying to use a dell laptop running windows vista to connect to my bt homehub, which it has been doing succesfully since last may. However 3 days ago it started saying that bt homehub is an unidentifed network and it says i have limited or no connectivity, im unable to access the internet when its like this.

Im trying to connect wirelessly, and i tried connecting with an Ethernet cable and that worked fine, but i cant stay tethered to my homehub forever :(, the main pc also running vista connects fine, and so does my mums toshiba which is running XP

2. jobool

jobool Thread Starter

Also, i'ts possible to post ipconfig all if you need it

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The first thing I would have done is try a System Restore -- that will not lose any data for you other than possibly something installed subsequent to the restore point.

In Vista you may see this on your start menu or you can just run "System Restore"

Since it is narrowed to a wireless problem, have you tried reinstalling the Wireless drivers?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The first thing I would do, is to name YOUR network to a name that only you would use, so that you KNOW that you are connecting to YOUR network.

5. jobool

jobool Thread Starter

Im certain its my network, as im connecting to an ssid which i know is mine, and the laptop didnt need me to install any wireless drivier, it was all already on it :(

6. amkdeath

amkdeath

Go to Start --> Run --> cmd.exe (XP)
    Vista:Start--> (in the searchbar where it says "Start search" type cmd.exe) --> Rigltclick cmd.exe --> Run as administrator

Now connect to your network. If you are still Limited connectivity etc, then in command prompt type in:

ipconfig/release

(enter)

wait for it to finish, then:

ipconfig/renew

wait a bit for it to finish. After its done open your browser and test to see if it is connected to the internet.

regards,

amk

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Right click on the wireless connection in Network Connections (Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections) and select Properties > TCP/IP protocol

In the TCP/IP properties of the wireless adapter, make sure 'obtain an IP address automatically ' and 'obtain DNS server address automatically' are selected.

Then try amkdeaths procedure.

If it is already selected. Try disabling the wireless encryption for a test.

You may also want to shutdown all computers connected to the network and unplug the router and modem (power) for a few minutes.

8. jobool

jobool Thread Starter

Ive done all of that :( and as for amkdeath, thanks for your idea but i get a message: no operation can be performed on local connection while it has its media disconnected

EDIT:
    im gonna try it with the ethernet cable p0lugged in ...

9. jobool

jobool Thread Starter

no diff really...

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/737836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice