1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista re-install without disk overwrite

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Gswiss, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gswiss

Gswiss Thread Starter

I had a triple boot on an HP-nc6320 (XP, Vista, Win 7) and I inadvertently deleted Vista. Although I never used it, I’d like to keep it for a while. I destroyed the Recovery partition by the same token.

Is there any way I can re-install it using the official HP recovery DVD without overwriting the whole disk ?

If worse comes to worst, I can always back up the current partitions, install Vista from the DVD which formats the whole disk, copy back the saved partitions and use EasyBCD to create an appropriate MBR to reinstate the triple boot.

But, isn’t there something simpler?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Not sure what the HP recovery will do in your situation, but I would not risk trying.

You will need a Vista installation disc to get it back without all that extra work, this way you can choose the partition to install Vista onto.

3. Gswiss

Gswiss Thread Starter

I know it reinstalls Vista for the nc6320 after having formatted the whole disk.

Your suggestion is probably the way to go: I have the product key on a portable sticker and I can download the appropriate drivers. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice