1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista ready video card for Pci express?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by brian8474, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brian8474

brian8474 Thread Starter

I am looking for a decent low priced pcie video card.I just purchased a new Hp pavilion a1740n pc. The reason i am asking this is because i have a pci nvidia 6200 video card i had on my old pc with windows xp and i cant find any vista ready drivers for it? .I do not want to use these onboard graphics any longer than i have to. so if you know where i can find a good driver that will work for my old card that would be great. But i want to buy a pcie card asap,and i prefer nvidia if possible.If you have any idea's please let me know,Thank's in advance.

Brian

2. Tha*Lunat!k

Tha*Lunat!k

I recent purchased an Xfx (though any brand would work) GeForce 7600GT. The GT version is much better than the GS, and is a good balance between performance and price. I got mine for $170 at a local computer store, though it can probably be had cheaper online. It performs well, however, and I haven't had any issues with drivers like I did when trying to get my GF 5950 Ultra up and running prior to upgrading the system.

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html

You should be able to use your current card.

I can't remember what DX level those 6200's are, but as I remember it to use the Aero interface you need a DX9 able card, and to watch HD DVDs or Blue Ray you need a DX10 card.

If your looking to buy a GFX card right now for Vista
    Nvidia 8800 cards are the only DX10 cards on the market, and ATI has its final drivers up and running for Vista (x86 and x64) along with it Catalyst software.

4. Crusnik

Crusnik

I have an ATI x1900GT and it looks beautiful in Vista =D. Like loserOlimbs said, ATI has drives out for Vista.

5. brian8474

brian8474 Thread Starter

The card i have is dx 9 compatible.But when i try to install nvidia drivers it recognizes my pc as something other than window's? I have window's vista.

6. Tha*Lunat!k

Tha*Lunat!k

I did have an issue with a Vista Business installation where NVIDIA driver setup would state I was not using Windows Vista and the installation would abort. I was still able to use the Device Manager method to Update Drivers on the card and just point to the folder where the install files were.

I have since upgraded to Vista Ultimate and don't have a problem with this anymore.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice