1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista reboots after normal shut down

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by woofdah, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. woofdah

woofdah Thread Starter

New Dell xps 420, preinstalled Vista. One month not a single problem. Now, when I shut down, system appears to shut down normally then immediately boots back up. Everything else appears to be running normally. During the reboot I can depress the power button and shut down the computer and it stays off. When I restart I do not get any message about abnormal shut down.

I have run virus and malware scans neither found anything?

I have not yet called Dell Tech support because in the past this forum has been much faster and more complete?
    I have since called Dell tech support and spent two hours on the phone only to have them tell me that it must be Itunes. They claimed there was no way that itunes and vista could coexist. However, they did for the first three weeks???

Any thoughts?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Any wakeup settings in the bios power management? Installed any new hardware or drivers recently? Any software?

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you have a version of iTunes that works with Vista, as Apple has had a lot of issues with iTunes running on a Vista machine?

4. nextgeartech

nextgeartech

I have XPS 420 with Vista, no iTunes installed, and have the same issue. When attempting to shut down computer restarts instead. After spending many hours with Dell support, and having them insist that the new video card I put in caused the issue, video card was swapped back to original, correcting the issue long enough to get the tech support guy off the phone. Now with everything in original configuration still have the same problem. Scanned for viruses - nothing detected. Is it software installed? Bios? Hardware issue? Anybody found anything on this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/666953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice