1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista reboots when McAfee scan runs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Carolet, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carolet

Carolet Thread Starter

My comp was crashing for no reason, and I ended up doing a factory restore. It seemed all my programs were locked up, so I had no other option. Windows was downloaded @ the factory, but still needs updating. I reinstalled McAfee (I have dialup) but it won't run-it keeps rebooting over and over. It closes AOL, and drops, then goes thru how do you want to start - I say normal windows. Sometimes it goes thru this 3 or 4 times before Windows will actually start. Sometimes my Windows are frozen-pointer and all, in the middle of a different (any) program and I have to turn my comp off. I am very comp illiterate :confused:. Please help. I don't know if there is a virus or not. Waiting. :eek: Carolet
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2940 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 292802 MB, Free - 254404 MB; D: Total - 12440 MB, Free - 1696 MB;
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, Napa
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

2. Carolet

Carolet Thread Starter

I did the RegCleanPro. Seem to have lots of probs. they want me to purchase $$$. Lost rest of your directions.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Well, if you determine that Mcafee is causing problems with Windows starting, then you can uninstall it and see if Windows boots properly again.

Installing Vista service pack 2 is just as important, security wise, as your antivirus. And you should download and keep a copy of it, on a cd or a usb memory stick, for times when you need to reinstall Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9ff6f22448d&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

4. Carolet

Carolet Thread Starter

I keep getting a msg that Explorer can't display the webpage. I'm about all zero's right now.:(Thanks anyway. Carolet

5. Carolet

Carolet Thread Starter

6. Carolet

Carolet Thread Starter

Now I can't update Windows, McAfee, anything -- my comp freezes up and I have to turn it off to restart. I really need help!! Also, when I'm online, my McAfee turn off, I turn it back on, it turns off, etc. over and over.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You need to upgrade Windows Vista SP1 to SP2.

You need to get rid of McAfee and then replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials 4. 0.1526.0
    It's free and light-weight and more user-friendly and well-recommended here. (y)

You need to stop using RegClean Pro and any other "fixer/cleaner" type utilities that you're using.
    They can break Windows and break programs and generate error messages and wreak havoc with a computer.

As long as you're using 56K dial-up instead of high-speed, you're going to have difficulty and finds it very time-consuming to download and install Windows updates and others.

----------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice