1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Recovery Disc

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by palex71, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. palex71

palex71 Thread Starter

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It depends on what the problem IS that you intend to try and fix with the reocvery disc.
    See this.
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/141820-create-recovery-disc.html.

The installation disc is of course also the recovery disc., but as the computer is HP I presume you do not have the installation disc.
    Have you checked if the recovery software has been installed - If you can still boot to Vista.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-Vista

OR
    http://www.pctechbytes.com/hp/hp-recovery-in-windows-vista

The recovery discs SHOULD of course have been created by you. or the owner of the computer, insofar as relates to now obtaining them, it is NOT a download, it is on the link you included - you order them. However HP cannot of course have discs to recover your computer to the state it is in NOW. They can only supply to recover to HOW IT WAS when they sold it.

What is the problem you have please.

3. palex71

palex71 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply...
    I cannot, unfortunately, create a recovery disc myself. A downgrade to XP was attempted, but cannot be completed due to lack of drivers (i.e. I cannot boot to Vista), nor do I have the original installation disc. I need to therefore somehow obtain one.

4. Macboatmaster

Have a look at the first link I sent please

5. Macboatmaster

Further to the above
    HAVE you exmained those links I sent.
    The reason I ask is - the 8 minutes betwen my post and your reply is extremely QUICK to have done so.
    They are sent, to save me pages of typing.
    Have you checked if the repair/recovery option has been pre-installed and is on F8 on startup.
    If you have NOT explored the links, PLEASE do so.

I would point out that I could have just answered YOUR specific query.
    The additional information was sent to try and offer you the BEST advice.

HOWEVER from a previous thread of yours
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/972006-xp-sp2-drivers.html
    is THIS reply

So IF WHAT you are trying to do is to NOW reinstall VIsta - having installed XP - IF you have NOT deleted the recovery partition - when you installed XP, the only way you are going back IS to recover to the original installation.

OR order the software from HP.

I feel bound to say that if this is the problem - you could have helped by saying so in the first place.

Good Luck with it.

6. palex71

palex71 Thread Starter

Yes, I am working through the procedure in the first link. Thanks... I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I ignored the information you sent.
    Thanks again!

7. Macboatmaster

No problem. It is however quite common for people to read the post and NOT examine the links.
    I am sure you appreciate that it is impossible to type a reply that includes all the info in the links.

If you ARE trying what I mentioned in my last - OTHER than the HP recovery partition -unless it was deleted by the XP install you are going no where., except with the HP recovery disc - ordered from HP.

8. palex71

palex71 Thread Starter

Oh, o.k. I definitely don't have the HP recovery partition (everything was reset during the XP install).

9. Macboatmaster

If you are certain of that you have ONLY two options.
    1. Order the disc from HP
    2. Borrow a Vista HP disc and use the key on your laptop base.

10. palex71

palex71 Thread Starter

Right... I was trying to order one from HP online (see my first link), but there was no Recovery Media option under the software and driver download section. Does this mean it is impossible to obtain such a CD or might there be another way? Thanks...

11. Macboatmaster

12. palex71

palex71 Thread Starter

I realize this... your last link is the same as my first link. One of the steps is under the "software and driver download" section, even though it is not a download.

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the support site for the Compaq Presario V3617LA laptop, it came with Windows Vista Home Basic(original version without SP1 or SP2) pre-installed.

From what I can determine, it has these devices:

NVIDIA nForce 630M - chipset

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M - graphics controller

Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 - audio controller

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - wired adapter

Broadcom 4321AG 802.11b/g WLAN - wireless adapter

Conexant HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem With SmartCP - 56K dial-up modem

Neither the HP/Compaq site nor the HP & Compaq Recovery Center site have a recovery CD/DVD kit for that laptop.

You made some big mistakes:

You didn't create a recovery CD/DVD kit immediately after you bought and setup that laptop.

You didn't purchase the recovery CD/DVD kit from HP/Compaq while it was still available.

You didn't confirm there were Windows XP drivers for all the devices in that laptop and then obtain them before you downgraded to Windows XP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I just discovered this isn't your first thread about this problem.

I assisted you in this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

14. palex71

palex71 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, flavallee.
    Does anyone have any other thoughts?
    Thanks again...

15. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It appears that laptop supports up to 4096 MB(4 GB) of RAM and uses 200-pin DDR2 PC2-5300 (667 MHz) SODIMM modules. You should consider increasing the amount of RAM to 2048 MB(2 GB) and then reinstalling Vista Home Basic in it.

If you can find someone who has a full version Vista Home Basic DVD to loan you, you can install it in that laptop and then use the 25-digit product code on the Microsoft sticker on the case to activate it. The Vista version that you install has to match the version on the Microsoft sticker.

Vista Home Basic will install clean and without all the bloatware and software that came in that laptop, so you'll need to install all the needed programs and add-ons afterwards.

If this isn't possible for you to do, you don't have any other option except to buy a copy of Vista or 7 and then install it.

That laptop isn't doing you much good with XP installed and with most of the devices not working.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice