1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vista recovery disks won't work after windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sharonlee, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

Hi, I have the original vista recovery installation disks that were created when you purchase the computer. They always worked fine. Windows 7 was installed on it and worked fine. I had to replace the motherboard in this and the wireless doesn't work on the replaced board. I do recall previously to installing windows 7 that when I installed xp I had to install a utility to get the wireless to work. When I installed vista again I had to do the same thing. After installing the motherboard and trying everything possible out there to work the wireless still doesn't work and the utilities that are available don't work with windows 7, I tried to put it the recovery disks to just start the computer all over again from vista, because the utility for the wireless is in that installation, however now when I put the recovery disks in it's telling me that they aren't for this computer. Is there something I have to do in windows 7 to get it to install these disks? Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The Vista recovery discs will only work with the original motherboard and possibly with an exact same model replacement board. You would most likely need to purchase a full version of Vista to install it.

3. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

It is the exact same motherboard.

4. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

I don't really want vista I like windows 7, I just wanted to be able to install the utility that's on the recovery disks to get the wireless to work. When I installed windows 7 it seemed to picked up all the drivers from vista. My thinking is that the mini pci on the replaced board for the wireless doesn't work, because it's not even recognized as an "other device" in device manager. So I wanted to try to go back to the original install as a last resort since trying everything else, before I pull out this motherboard and ship it back for another replacement.

5. Thawee

Thawee

Here are my questions.

1) Is this a desktop pc?
    2) did you use a anti-static wrist strap?

Typically from my experience the windows operating system does a good job of detecting working hardware. My thought is check to make sure the mother board anchor screws are not touching the mother board in a place that is shorting out the wireless card slot.

It is possible during your move to the new mother board that the static electricity on your hand has fried your card.

My first direction is look at the anchor bolts and make sure they aren't touching the mother board and shorting something out. I would also try testing the wireless card in a different computer to see if it still even works.

if you don't have one I would recommend getting a anti-static wrist strap from your local computer store, I think they are in the range of 5 - 10 bucks.

Hope all goes well and take care.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Ooops; I had read your "to just start the computer all over again from vista" comment as meaning you wanted to dump Windows 7 and re-install Vista.

If you searched the Internet and could not find Windows 7 compatible wireless drivers and utilities, there would be very good possibility that any wireless drivers and utilities you might be able to extract from the Vista recovery discs would not be compatible with Windows 7.

If you let us know the brands and model numbers of the hardware involved, somebody here may be able to help you find a source of compatible drivers and utilities.

7. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

Not a desktop... it's a laptop
    Yes have the anti-static strap. I have A+ certification so I'm very familiar with replacing parts. Built several computers, not very familiar however with windows 7 yet, not much time to play around with it since it's been out.

Here's the specs it's a preserio A916nr
    motherboard is part number 462317-001 also known as a JBW00
    wireless card is Atheros AR5BXB63-H hp part number for it is 459339-01
    These cards also sometimes have the Broadcom 4321AG chip in them, so I tried those drivers as well.

Every driver I tried tells me that the device isn't found. . That's why I think the mini pci slot doesn't work. (Also should note that the repaced board wasn't brand new it was listed as used. Don't see any point in repalacing with a new board for over $300, Hp asking $369 for new one, when the laptop can be purchased new for $500 now)
    I also tried flashing bios and updating chipset

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you checked to see if the wireless adapter is physically there and securely in its slot?

Can you find it in the BIOS, and is it enabled?

What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What warnings or errors, if any, are in Device Manager?

9. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

Yes I took this thing apart 3 times just to be sure it's seated and cables are secure. There are little screws that secure it. The bios on this thing really sucks it's got very limited options and can't find anything on how to get to hidden menues, the bios is Insyde H20 rev. 3. It's not showing up in device manager at all. The only thing in Network adapters is the nic card. Nothing in other devices and no warnings anywhere that's why I tend to believe it's a bad slot on the motherboard. Just figured I try one more thing before I pull it out to return it for a new one, but can't get my recovery disks to recognize this as the right computer since installing windows 7. I thought I read somewhere a while back that you had to do something in windows 7 to go back to vista with recovery disks but can't seem to find that info now.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    HP has had a lot of problems with integrated wireless adapters going AWOL because of some motherboard defects. I don't know exactly what motherboards.

If the wireless adapter is not showing in Device Manager as itself or as an "unknown" or "other" device there is no point in looking for a driver or utility. There should be no need for an additional wireless utility with Windows 7, although I admit that I do use the Airlink101 utility with my USB adapter.

Unless you upgraded your BIOS for Windows 7 I can think of no reason why a Vista Recovery disk would not work. But you need not go back to Vista for a driver. HP's web site may have a Windows 7 driver, and certainly should have the Vista driver. You need to download and install them yourself; Windows Update and Device Manager are not going to find them.

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Thank you for that bit of news. That could explain why my wife's HP laptop from work can no longer connect to our wireless router at home. The status light momentarily blinks on when she tries to turn wireless on with the switch above the keyboard. Running fifty feet of CAT5 cable between the router and the kitchen table is a royal PITA.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's actually old news, and I don't know if any laptops in the past year have the problem. At one time HP extended warranties on some models.

Check to make sure the adapter isn't just loose, and then resign yourself to an external wireless adapter. :(

13. sharonlee

sharonlee Thread Starter

No drivers at all for this model on hp for windows 7. What happened was I had a battery overheating issue, my motherboard fired from it. Hp notified me a week later that my battery may be on the list of recall. However, when I went to thier validation for the battery they say it's not one that's recalled, yet my battery number is on the list. I contacted them to tell them that a week prior to this the battery was so hot you could not touch it, and I placed those ball prop ups under the laptop and fans to keep it cool, yet it still fried the motherboard. There are even overheating discolouring on the metal parts inside the case where the battery was. Everything was working just fine except it was really hot. I was on the internet and it just shut right off on me and would not start again. No lights or anything from the power source. So rather than admit it was their battery that killed it, they wanted me to go pay one of their authorized dealer to inspect the motherboard. Don't need to do that since I already know why it's dead and would cost more for them to check than to just buy a used board. So I found a used board exactly the same, I installed it everything came back as was except the wireless. I needed the same board because I have two programs I need to be installed as a C: drive in order to recover my files for it. (important tax files for clients I did this year weren't saved to the external yet). So reformatting the hard drive if I used a different board wasn't an option. So the wireless should have worked too without a glitch. The guy is willing to replace the board I just am trying to save 2 weeks of shipping back and forth and being without the laptop. I use this one to do taxes and fix computers on the road. I'm pretty sure it's the slot doesn't work since it's a used board. I just wondered if there was something that had to be done in windows 7 in order to go back to the original disks from vista, just so I know I tried everything. If there isn't a way to go back to the recovery disks I'm just going to pull it and ship it back. If it was the wireless card it should still show up as an other device in device manager if the slot was working, it just wouldn't know what it was.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/935907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice