1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Reformat

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by RageofEZLN, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RageofEZLN

RageofEZLN Thread Starter

My friends Vista Home Premium has gotten what I believe to be a virus. When starting the computer it goes to the "Start windows normally, safe mode... etc." screen. If you choose safe mood it goes through drivers and a blue screen comes up and reboots. If you choose start windows normally you get to the login screen then a blue screen shows up and reboots. The only solution I can think of is to reformat his C:/.

He did not get a vista install cd, so I have been thinking about downloading linux and installing it on his computer to get it running for a while to give us time to get a vista cd.

my questions are: how do you format a hard disk with what we are able to acess?
    do you have to take out the hard drive, connect it to another computer and delete the files from there?
    What is a good linux disk?

Thanks for the help in advanced. Also, I don't know if this is the right section. Mods: feel free to move it if needed.

2. lymponus

lymponus

If you can check the boot sequence in the BIOS, you can select it to check the CD-ROM to see if it has a bootable CD. I've heard a lot of people like Ubuntu Linux, so you could get someone to burn an install disk for you. The computer will boot off the CD, and you should be able to format and install that way.

3. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

Certain machines come with a dedicated partition that you can boot from (check in the bios if it appears as a boot device)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice