1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista retail install hangs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by toadman77, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toadman77

toadman77 Thread Starter

Hi I am trying to upgrade my xp pro machine , I know I should do a clean install but I'll go with this for now.
    Anyways I am doing the upgrade from within windows which is what is suppose to be done.
    The thing is the installation hangs just after I choose which install I want from the list of all different versions of vista.
    I also noticed that the cpu is running at 100% and that setup of vista is after awhile not responding when I look in the task manager.
    Anyone have any ideas why this is?
    I also tried a rtm version and it does the same thing as I thought maybe it was the retail disk that was no good.

Any ideas
    TRHks

2. Doom_Machine

Doom_Machine

try to do it while in safemode (F8 during boot)
    i'm guessing its more on xp's end rather than the vista disc itself

i think you can do the same upgrade by booting from vista cd...on mine it asks if i want to do an upgrade or custom

3. toadman77

toadman77 Thread Starter

Thks for reply I tried safe mode but it still hangs and 100% cpu.
    On booting dvd I do not get the upgrade part only the clean install.

There is something blocking me from installing in xp but what is the question?

Any ideas?

THks

I've even tried to put all files in a folder and work from hard drive within xp , no can do either.

4. ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Not all versions of XP can be upgraded to Vista, and some can be upgraded to only some flavors of Vista. For example, if you have XP Pro, you can not upgrade to either Vista home versions, but you can upgrade to Business or Ultimate versions. See the chart here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx

Also, if the upgrade is supported, you need 15 gig of free hard drive space on the target partition. I'd also suggest converting any FAT32 partitions to NTFS before doing an upgrade or dual-boot install.

5. toadman77

toadman77 Thread Starter

Thks for reply I have 25 gigs free ,I am running xp pro and everything is in ntfs format.

Don't know what else to say.

Any ideas?

6. ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Which version of Vista are you trying to install?

7. toadman77

toadman77 Thread Starter

Vista Ultimate.

8. ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Are both of them 32bit or both 64bit versions? You can't mix 32 vs 64bit when doing an in-place upgrade. If it's not that, then I'm stumped.

9. happyrck

happyrck

do you have the minimum required hardware to support VISTA

10. gargoyle189

gargoyle189

I had the same problem but i solved this, hope it gives you help.

It was down to my setting in my bios, i have a gigabyte motherboard and i had to set my 32bit 3ghz chip to manual rather than auto, and i also had to manually set the memory to 400mhz (which is what it is) this then allowed the upgrade to proceed.

11. toadman77

toadman77 Thread Starter

Both are 32 bit and I have all the hardware I need , but I also have a gigabyte mobo and I think I'll try that gargoyle and get back to u guys on that.

THks

12. toadman77

toadman77 Thread Starter

Tried the bios thing also just hangs at 100%cpu.
    I noticed in the task manager that the setup is around 53%, then the services is at 20-30 % and svchost is the rest.

Maybe something in services is not enabled or scvhost is more of a problem than I think.
    I really don't know.

Anyone
    Thks

13. Doom_Machine

Doom_Machine

if nothing else, just format/reinstall xp pro and try vista from there, also try resetting cmos settings
    if not that it has to be hardware, maybe do some ram tests

14. toadman77

toadman77 Thread Starter

Ok I've been doingsome cleanup with hijack this I'll see how it goes after I finish it all, Ram looks good already did a test.

Thks

15. gargoyle189

gargoyle189

also did you do the compatiblity test to make sure all the software is compatible. if you did and all is ok, you may want to try a file and settings transfer to another drive, format and install windows XP, then try the upgrade from there, and then if is successful or not you can transfer the settings back to whichever os you get to work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice