1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista running slowly, high CPU usage all the time

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by speedysuzy, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speedysuzy

speedysuzy Thread Starter

Hello! :) I did a cursory search of the forums for this issue but there are just too many cases to review them all so I figured I would post here anyways.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1525 and Windows Vista, and I've been having a lot of problems with it lately... but I have a question about one in particular right now.

My computer is running really slowly (regardless of whether I am online or offline or how many applications I have open). It doesn't take abnormally long to boot up the computer itself, but booting up separate applications takes forever.

My CPU also seems to spend a lot of it's time running at 80% or higher... it's staying between 50% and 60% right now but before I started typing this question it had spent about 10 minutes at 100% usage. I have only two programs open- Firefox and Microsoft Word. (I've since closed Word but I didn't notice any significant difference in CPU usage- it's staying around the same).

While the computer was at 100% CPU usage it was freezing every couple of minutes for just 30 seconds or so. I'd let it process or whatever until it was done freaking out and the usage had come down a bit and then try to type or do an internet search and it would shoot straight back up and freeze again.

I'm also wondering at the number of processes I have running - 77... although I've heard Vista runs a large number of processes and so maybe I shouldn't be worried about this? I've gotten rid of almost everything non-essential that I can think of (without messing around with any services that might be vital) but it still seems really high to me. I dunno.

This isn't really any huge error message issue, it's just irritating. All the other tips I've found here and there or got from friends haven't really made any difference.

PS: As far as I, McAfee, and MalwareBytes knows, I don't have any virus on my machine. :)

Thank you so much to everyone who responds.

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Hi,
    How much RAM does your system have? 1GB? 2GB? etc.

Did you also check your Msconfig/Startup tab to see how applications you have that Start up at boot time?

Good luck
    Ray

3. speedysuzy

speedysuzy Thread Starter

I've only got 14 programs that start on boot, and they're all pretty much essential... several Intel services, my laptop touch pad, the anti-virus, etc. I guess iTunes doesn't really need to be there (I actually didn't know it was there, must have re-enabled itself after I downloaded the latest update) but other than that they all check out.

I've got 4GBs of RAM. And I guess while I'm here looking up my exact specs, I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pk 2, 32 bit version.

4. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Hmm 14 start ups, I guess that is ok, I only have 7 but then again each user has different needs or requirements.
    As for the RAMS you are more than A-OK.

Hopefully someone with much more experience than I will pop in soon.

Ray

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice