1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista runs DOS program only in Minimize

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by oldputerguy, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldputerguy

oldputerguy Thread Starter

An old DOS program ran OK with XP, 98, and 95 in either Normal or Max window. Vista ran the first part of the BATCH file in the Normal window frame but then did not run complete with "16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem" dialog "This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application". Pressed 'Ignore', did not response until the third time then a dialog appeared showing "NTVDM.EXE has stopped working" and "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

Went into that program's properties and tried Normal, Maximize, and Minimize. Vista ran complete only with Minimize but, of course, could not see anything.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I run command prompts all the time in normal mode.

Start, Run, CMD

Try executing the program in that command window.

3. oldputerguy

I did that and didnot work. I went there and did a DIR command and all other DOS commands, all were OK. That one BAT to kick off the program apparently called some addresses that Vista didnot like. It kept saying that the program did not support full screen mode. I do not understand the reason that the BAT went through OK to kick off the program ONLY in minized mode and not normal window nor maximize window.
    Thanks

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'll take a stab at it. Are you running this from a shortcut? Or are you running the BAT file directly? When the file is running, does it only appear in the task bar meaning that your only options are to maximize it or not see it running at all?

If I've misread your post, let me know.

5. oldputerguy

I did both, from a short cut with c:\enpak\enpak.bat and from comand.com or CMD as a DOS command. The file is very simple as below, before these last lines as just conditions which Visa ran OK in a window and then the window went blank when it tried to execute the following
    DMSF -I78 -C
    DMSF -I78 -S9C00 -D
    ENPAKLIB -I79 -C4700 MASTER.EXE

That is when Vista said did not support full screen.
    Could it be the MASTER.EXE forced the screen to go wide on Vista and not on earlier Windows OS?
    Nick

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice