1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista screen shutoff - non-responsive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by btr94, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. btr94

btr94 Thread Starter

If I leave my computer on for a prolonged amount of time (laptop), the screen will shut off, and the system will become non-responsive. I have to do a complete shutdown (hold down power button for three seconds). The system will not go to sleep, or respond to any attemps to try to wake it up. Any ideas?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Did the Presario ship with Vista, or did you upgrade?

The problem that you have is that the laptop is dying in its sleep.

The usual cause is incompatible drivers, this would result from an upgrade if the correct drivers were not applied. If it shipped with Vista, then reapplying all the drivers (not the BIOS) would be a starting place.

3. btr94

btr94 Thread Starter

I upgraded, however, I re-formatted the hard drive. I got all the updated drivers from DriverAgent.com (have a subscription). Should I just set never to turn the monitor off while plugged in?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It's probably not a matter of it happening just when the screen turns off, more that the laptop is entering a standby mode and dying.

Sorry, but I would not be relying on DriverAgent, you should visit the laptop makers website to get the drivers for Vista (it's not as if they charge for them). If there are none, then the drivers you have are probably only for XP and may not work.

I have had a quick look at hp.com, and there are no Vista drivers listed for your V2000Z, only Windows 2000 and XP. So you will have to put up with some shortcomings, in your case by disabling any power saving options.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice