1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Security Holes .. ?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by etch, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etch

etch Thread Starter

could anybody help me with this plz , its important for me to know if there is any windows vista security holes and problems ? and how could i solve them -if any-?
    coz someone already told me that there r many security holes , just making sure no more.
    thx in advance

2. pillainp

pillainp

By itself, Vista is a pretty secure, stable OS, especially if all security patches are applied.

Every OS has security holes of varying severity.

I would almost say that if an OS has no holes, its just because no one has found them yet.

Best practice would be to apply all OS and application updates (or at least those labelled important/critical), keep your antivirus updated, and leave UAC running.

Remember, a lot of the security problems an OS faces are generated by the applications you run on it.

Finally, every OS is only as secure as its user. Learn how to keep yourself and your data safe online.

If you have any problems, ask, and the good people here will do their best to help you with them.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

The biggest security hole in any Operating system is the user.

Vista is secure, but can be compromised by visiting malicious websites, opening email from unknown senders, installing unknown software, ect...

4. Orumph

Orumph

And to add to all of that...

The only truly 100% secure PC, is one without a hard drive and no power.
    in otherwords, one that is unsed or unusable.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Vista has fixed many security holes found in XP. Many security problems has been fixed with redesign.

Internet explorer now runs in protected mode, which gives extremely limited rights to the process, even if the program is launched by an administrator.

UAC now prompts the user before making any system wide changes.

Windows services hardening limits the rights given to services so that even when exploited, the malware have very limited rights.

Bitlocker drive encryption now protects against data leak when laptops are stolen.

You can now limit data theft by disallowing installation of usb flash drives.

Windows Firewall is now a two way stateful firewall.

Address space layout randomization loads code modules into different addresses every time, making it difficult for exploits to work.

There are lots of other structural improvements, and I have converted all my PCs to use Vista precisely because of these improvements.

Like Pillianp says, there will be new security holes discovered as time goes on, and we have to keep our patches up to date. But Vista has a strong security foundation, which is not so with XP.

Basically, security is a race between black hat hackers and white hat hackers. When white hats discovers a security hole they tell MS to patch it. When black hats discover a hole, well, you have a hole, and they'll use it to hack the public. Patched security holes are no longer holes, unless you are stupid enough to turn off Automatic-Updates. Being a white hat does have it's benefits, you get a decent paying job in the security field.

If your friend claims there are many security holes, ask him to demo it against a fully patched system. Maybe he's a blackhat?

6. etch

etch Thread Starter

thx guys for ur infos , i was just curious to know about what microsoft has made to vista to encourage security ... actually i have just 1 point to say , i asked about security holes coz i dont trust microsoft anymore actually , when i see linux versions coming with the least holes ever - and then see that microsoft windows every few days publish an announcement that a new security hole has been discovered , and u cant even change ur OS coz ur manager doesnt wanna , that's really a pain in the *** ,,,

all i'm looking for is a more secured operating system ,, i wish vista is what am i looking for !

7. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

You have to remember that Linux (Unix) has been around for almost 40 years with probably millions of people working on it all over the world during that time.

8. Orumph

Orumph

etch,,,,

It doesn't matter what OS you are running, Linux Windows Mac whatever
    If a hacker is targeting you, they will get in, period.

Is windows as secure as Linux? Yes and No.

UAC helps a lot. But so does the firewall.
    If you don't configure Linux properly, it can be just as insecure as any other OS and less secure in some instances.

Something else to consider. Windows has 80+ % of the market. With so many pieces of software that programmers don't think or care about security issues which opens holes.

Linux admins are begging for AntiVirus Suites for Linux. Mac users only think they are safe. These OS are what I call, Security through Obscurity.

Virus, Spyware, Malware dev's don't target them as it wont affect as many people due to difficulty but as important, market share.

9. etch

etch Thread Starter

i got ur point Orumph , yea its something considering the wide use of the OS ,,, when u think as a hacker , u wont hack some OS -like linux- thats not used broadly , or that would take a big time from u , and u sure it will be fixed the next day - lol - ,,
    but i'm sure that microsoft was only interrested in GUI and End user easy use , no more -like it is for beginners!-

thats why i asked if they made vista for adults - j/k:p - i mean if they become aware of the threat of the other companies around them and started to give a big consideration to what they were missing -security!-.

10. Orumph

Orumph

Ok etch.

I challenge you to find and produce methods for accessing and explain the security holes that you claim are so prevalent in vista.

Oh, excuse me, your friend claims.

You are starting to show your ignorance, or you are a troll.

or dare i say,,,,,, a Linazi :eek:. Which are usually worse than trolls.

11. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

The number of bugs in any code can be expressed succinctly and mathematically:

Total Number of Errors = Number of Errors Found + 1

12. jmwills

jmwills

Vista for adults? Gimme a break.....please.

13. etch

etch Thread Starter

ok Orumph: u said ...

"I challenge you to find and produce methods for accessing and explain the security holes that you claim are so prevalent in vista.

Oh, excuse me, your friend claims.

You are starting to show your ignorance, or you are a troll.

or dare i say,,,,,, a Linazi :eek:. Which are usually worse than trolls."

why u show offence ! i was asking a simple question no more -_- , besides , i already discussed this matter with my friend i mentioned , and my opinion was exactly 100% like u wheni was speaking with him ...

and ok ,, i'll give ya a link -if i'm allowed to tho- that showes that some hackers have already reported security holes on vista ... and here are some links which already support what i'm saying ... (this is not an advertise! just an evidence to the case here ...)
    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2183507/vista-secirity-hole-discovered

and this one may get us to what i claimed -sorry i mean my friend!-
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=29&tag=nl.e589

i wish i wont get banned for posting such links , but really i dont like the way of speach --
    cya and gl

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

Rutkowska's finding is old news. I look at it this way, if you ok an setup program, then of course it installs what it wants, including spyware, rootkit drivers, etc. She is looking for further finer grained access control, I think, and whereas I can accept the existing functionality. This 'security hole' is not that bad, in my opinion.

And I don't know why the MS guy gets into inteprocess communication and squatter attacks in response to her query.

15. Orumph

Orumph

I read those links.

Yes,, UAC is not implemented in the greatest way, but it's a step in the right direction.

But what they are discussing, is the software you install and are prompted to allow installing.
    Again, this comes back to the user. Do you trust the software? Where you got it from?
    If you don't install the software, then there is no security risk. UAC will prevent it from running.
    You click ok and let it install,, your on your own, you were warned and you ignored it, the security breach is your fault as a user.

Find me something that doesn't require user interaction, social engineering tactics to compromise a vista system with UAC, firewall and a good antivirus enabled.

Even mac and Linux are susceptible to user interaction, social engineering tactics.
    All I need to is to write a sub-program (maybe some supporting library for a prog) to compromise Linux or mac in someway that might disable something or replace a critical file, just like windows and granny grandma won't know the difference if the main program works as expected.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice