Vista Security is a pain

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gargoyle189

is there a way to either reduce or turn off all those nagging security things in vista, i mean c'mon, how many times do you need to be told that a program is trying to install, or that you need security rights to get to control panel. i tried to run call of duty game and gave up in the end because punk buster kept being blocked by windows.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can disable "User Access Protection" if it's really a problem.

1. Click Start
2. Click Control Panel
3. Select System and Maintenance
4. Click Administrative Tools
5. Double-click System Configuration
6. Click Continue (if prompted)
7. Select the Tools tab in the System Configuration window
8. Here you can choose Disable UAP or Enable UAP from the bottom of the listbox
9. Click Launch
10. Reboot

As you can see it is very easy to disable what is being touted as one of Vista's main security benefits. I suspect this will be a fairly common practice since it is fairly annoying.

Yes, but you have to physically at the machine to do it. That is until the bad guys figure out a way to script it.

gargoyle189

this is fairly easy to do and a great help, but difficult if you dont know where to look. thanks for this. know i can truly get on with my life.

MMJ

jmwills said:
Yes, but you have to physically at the machine to do it. That is until the bad guys figure out a way to script it.
It warns you when you try to turn it off.

@gargoyle: Please check out my sig. ;)

crjdriver

I agree that it is annoying, however it is no worse than having to login as root for linux.

Win2k and xp can both be configured to not allow you to run an install or setup.exe however vista does this by default.

FWIW it is the first thing I turn off however I am the only one to use this machine.

MMJ

I got this interesting link off LifeHacker the other day:

uhaligani

Have a look at my doc on speeding up th RTM which I reposted a couple of days ago. It includes mmj's tip and a few others. As the posting says, it also lowers you security level!

I'm so glad I found this forum and this thred. I just got a new PC that has Vista yesterday and already the security checks are making me want to tear my hair out. Many thanks, JohnWill, for your easy-to-follow instructions on how to disable. You may have saved my sanity. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online