1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista Security is a pain

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gargoyle189, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gargoyle189

gargoyle189 Thread Starter

is there a way to either reduce or turn off all those nagging security things in vista, i mean c'mon, how many times do you need to be told that a program is trying to install, or that you need security rights to get to control panel. i tried to run call of duty game and gave up in the end because punk buster kept being blocked by windows.

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can disable "User Access Protection" if it's really a problem.

1. Click Start
    2. Click Control Panel
    3. Select System and Maintenance
    4. Click Administrative Tools
    5. Double-click System Configuration
    6. Click Continue (if prompted)
    7. Select the Tools tab in the System Configuration window
    8. Here you can choose Disable UAP or Enable UAP from the bottom of the listbox
    9. Click Launch
    10. Reboot

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As you can see it is very easy to disable what is being touted as one of Vista's main security benefits. I suspect this will be a fairly common practice since it is fairly annoying.

5. jmwills

jmwills

Yes, but you have to physically at the machine to do it. That is until the bad guys figure out a way to script it.

6. gargoyle189

gargoyle189 Thread Starter

this is fairly easy to do and a great help, but difficult if you dont know where to look. thanks for this. know i can truly get on with my life.

7. MMJ

MMJ Guest

It warns you when you try to turn it off.

@gargoyle: Please check out my sig. ;)

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree that it is annoying, however it is no worse than having to login as root for linux.

Win2k and xp can both be configured to not allow you to run an install or setup.exe however vista does this by default.

FWIW it is the first thing I turn off however I am the only one to use this machine.

9. MMJ

MMJ Guest

I got this interesting link off LifeHacker the other day:

10. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Have a look at my doc on speeding up th RTM which I reposted a couple of days ago. It includes mmj's tip and a few others. As the posting says, it also lowers you security level!

11. Miss Scarlett

Miss Scarlett

I'm so glad I found this forum and this thred. I just got a new PC that has Vista yesterday and already the security checks are making me want to tear my hair out. Many thanks, JohnWill, for your easy-to-follow instructions on how to disable. You may have saved my sanity. :)

12. MMJ

MMJ Guest

An easier way to disable is from user accounts. ;)

13. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

That's true, the user accounts method is considerably easier. :D Not that either way is hard though.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536907