1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista security solution + MS Vista launch price

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lotuseclat79, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Story here.

Article also indicates projected MS launch price for Vista!

-- Tom

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A price of $450 will bring out the pirates big time! :eek: It's also going to really slow down general acceptance of it for retail sales. :rolleyes:

3. shujinko

shujinko

Aren't there going to be 5 versions of Vista? I was planning on getting the higher-end home use one with the Aero interface. I was hoping it would be under $200. I could see $450 for a server or enterprise version, but there's no way I'm paying $450 to test new OS patches for Microsoft. I'll stick with XP.

4. JohnWill

I believe there are six versions, at least at last count. ;) I suspect a lot of folks will find XP somewhat appealing at those prices. :D

5. Mike46

Mike46

I heard today on a podcast that Vista is going to require 800mb ram just to run the OS, the typical user will need at least GB of ram for normal use and if you are a gamer you would need at least 2 GB. :eek:

6. photolady

photolady

All I can say is OUCH!! And I'll probably stick with XP. Though I have the beta version coming in June.

7. JohnWill

I would take any "memory estimates" you are currently haring with a grain of salt. I just booted up beta 5365 and it's currently using 650mb with my AV and Windows defender loaded. This is the "Ultimate" build with all the whistles and bells, I suspect many of the versions will consume less. Memory use will also go down significantly when the debug capability is removed from the build. While memory use certainly promises to be more than XP, it's not going to be multiples of XP's requirements. Note also, this is total memory use, and a significant part of that memory is really paged and not regularly used, so this system can comfortable boot with 512mb. FWIW, I have changed the memory to 512mb on the system and booted, there was no apparent difference, running IE and MS Office, though subjectively, it did seem a bit slower.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Released minimum specs is already 512. I think these "guesses" should now stop.

I wish I could get in on this Beta fun I would pull this OS apart and see whats under the hood... Too bad I have to wait until its out and implemented to get my greese monkey hands on it to disect it :)

So far my only complaint about Vista is more a problem on this board than with the OS coming out.... Why does a non released OS like VIsta have a forum when Windows 2003 has nothing? *snicker* :D

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

BTW have to love these MS press releases -

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwd...=704&news_id=dji-00117020060511&date=20060511

I am betting the 450$ price tag is for the ultimate everything but the kitchen sink version... either that or this Ballmer guy hadn't talked to the other MS people in terms of pricing :)

10. shujinko

shujinko

post deleted, spam removed.

11. Mike46

Mike46

This is the recommended Ram for Windows XP - 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features) Most XP users are running 512 to a 1 GB of memory to get good performance so you say 512mb is the recommended RAM for Windows Vista, so to get good performance not just minimum performance wouldn’t you think that you would also have to increase the RAM to run this system in optimal performance? Also is it not true that you will need a direct x 9 video card to operate Vista and for a serious gamer this could mean more additional cost? Another item of debate the new games that come out are going to require Vista as an OS, gamers are going to have to invest in Vista, plus probably more RAM along with a possible video card upgrade. Don’t get me wrong I am sure you know more about Vista than I do:rolleyes: but I am just here to stir the pot:D so people can see the information if no one ever debates or questions these things then the correct information never gets out, I will be the first to admit the you should question my information, I am doing some research on Vista but not much, I have no intention on jumping on the band wagon to get a new OS I am completely happy with Windows XP(y)

12. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

No your twisting what you wrote earlier - I heard today on a podcast that Vista is going to require 800mb ram just to run the OS - this is just not true the OS WILL run with 512. Its not going to be pretty I am sure just as Windows XP at 128 isn't pretty on a slower CPU but it WILL run.

I am not saying 512 will run it well and I am not deluded to think I am only going to want 512.
    Most serious gamers already have a recient video card that will more than Support windows Vista. Most major mid level to high level gaming cards out there right now will run windows vista's most advanced video requirements just fine. It will be the mom and pop or the gamers who have not had a reicent upgrade to their card that may need to upgrade it.
    I don't doubt this will be a requirement soon after the OS gets released. Developers always use the latest hardware/software which in turn pushes consumers to have to buy the same items to keep up. This has been the way of things for years since the PC inception. You have a new computer that does new tasks. Developers start using these new tasks to writes games next thing you know these games onlu function on this new OS. I don't necessarily like it myself but I can see why this happens.
    Most of this information DOES get out its just a matter of WHERE you get the information if you go to Microsoft.com and try and get news your gonna hear Vista is the next best thing to sliced bread. If you go to alternative unbiased sites this is where you get the better information.
    I don't question it I just dispute that this podcast is right considering the minimum specs have already been released and its 512.
    You may want to look into it it does have quite a few +'s to it, I am not saying its going to be revolutionalry but I think it will find its place in the evolution of computing.
    The only reason I jump on new OS'es and its information right off the bat is I am usually expected to support them VERY shortly after release. I can't exactly be called on for a computer problem and walk in saying "Oh so thats the new Windows OS Vista... I haven't had a chance to see that before". I think my clients would toss me out before I even got to the keyboard.

13. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I just find it funny that computers are like on of the ONLY consumer products that people get SO upset and vocal about not being able to upgrade. I never hear of a person getting mad their 10 year old TV won't display HD programming. I never hear a person getting mad they can't get a big block engine into their mini cooper. I never hear a person getting upset that 2.4ghz cordless phone won't upgrade to a 5.8 ghz phone.

Just an interesting side note about consumer expectations when it comes to computers and their abilites.

14. shujinko

shujinko

Yeah but you don't see many people making a hobby of building/using telephones and televisions. I think it's safe to say that the PC has taken the place of the "tube" in terms of usage over the last 10 years, especially among young people. And computers are much much more complex than a TV, require far more interaction, and require a great deal of discipline and maintenance to keep running in tip-top.

And even if I did watch TV, I wouldn't care if I didn't have an HD set/programming. HDTV is a joke right now. Yeah it's neat to watch certain sporting events and the discovery channel in HD (wahoo), but until the cost of programming comes way down and the number of engaging HD channels goes way up, HDTV will continue to be far more a luxury than a must-have.

But I do see your point. The "only-for-work" PC user could make the same argument.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/471815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice