1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista serious lagspike problem.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Maarcis9, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maarcis9

Maarcis9 Thread Starter

Hello, everyone!
    My name is Martins. I'm from Latvia.
    Here is my problem. I have newly installed Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. 1 week it is running smoothly then suddenly its starting to lag for 1 minute when i was playing Race Driver: GRID. Process repeated after every 3 minutes. I tried to find the cause for this... failure. It was defragmented, unnesecary net programms been shutdown, but nothing. Its still lagging after 3 minutes. Started to search in internet i found out that is infamous lag spike. Read many solutions that i tried: Anti-Lag, Windows Optimizer, WLAN Autoconfig disabled. None of them worked because i realised that was for Wi-Fi devices not for mine Huawei E230 USB Modem device. Its driving me crazy that i cant play any games because im spending most of the time pausing it because of lagging.
    If anybody have solution or hint how to STOP it, it will save my ***.
    My specs are:
    AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Core Processor BE-2350 2.10 GHz
    2,00 GB RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 8600GT Videocard
    300 GB HDD

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you install any new programs, espcially those that auto-start when you login ?

Run msconfig and look at the startup tab. Those are the programs that auto-start. Leave your antivirus program alone, and try disabling others.

3. Maarcis9

Maarcis9 Thread Starter

No, i didn't install any new programs. At msconfig/startup there is only windows defender, MS-OS, anti-virus and windows update. Which i should disable?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

In my Vista Business, I only see Windows Defender and my anti-virus. I don't see any MS-OS ? Nor do I see Windows Update in the startup tab of msconfig.

Windows Update does not have to be set to auto-run, so you can uncheck that.

I don't know of anything that remotely looks like MS OS in the startup tab, so you can uncheck that.

5. Maarcis9

Maarcis9 Thread Starter

I unchecked MS-OS and others but it didn't worked. Any more ideas?

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go here and download HijackThis 2.0.4:

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Run it and it will open notepad with a log of what it finds. Copy and paste that into your next reply. Don't ask it to fix anything yet. Somebody who knows more about reading HijackThis logs will come along and help you.

7. Maarcis9

Maarcis9 Thread Starter

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 19:13:54, on 2011.01.18.
    Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18999)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    C:\Program Files\LMT Internet\LMT Internet.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\Users\GURU\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgssie.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8541A6EE-A419-48E8-9256-84B2B97715AB}: NameServer = 212.93.96.2 212.93.96.4
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgpp.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service (Stereo Service) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvSCPAPISvr.exe

8. Maarcis9

Maarcis9 Thread Starter

after long and painful journey into my computer i found the culprit- it's the system idle process- it's suddenly jumped from 5 to 99% of CPU usage. Problem is that i can't turn it off in task manager it's says "the operation could not be completed. The operation is not valid for this process." If somebody can tell how to turn it off it would be great.

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

The System Idle Process is just the amount of time that had nothing doing anything - hence the name 'idle time'. You cannot do anything to it.

10. Maarcis9

Maarcis9 Thread Starter

it's showing 95 in CPU section and i can't do anything to it. How much i have wait for it?

11. Maarcis9

Maarcis9 Thread Starter

here's my taskmanagers processes list: audiodg.exe avgchsx.exe avgtray.exe csrss.exe DTLite.exe dwm.exe explorer.exe firefox.exe (my current browser) LMT Internet.exe(USB Internet modem software) lsass.exe lsm.exe nvSCPAPISvr.exe nvvsvc.exe(2 of them) NvXDSync.exe plugin-container.exe SearchIndexer.exe services.exe SLsvc.exe smss.exe SMSvchost.exe svchost.exe (13 of them) system System Idle Process winnit.exe winlogon.exe WUDFHost.exe Which would be the culprit? I know that not all of them are the real culprits.

12. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If System Idle Process is at 95%, I'd say you surely don't have a CPU problem. The higher the better, for that process.

It's perfectly normal to see spikes whenever you're running programs. When other processes show an increase in CPU, System Idle Process will go down accordingly. Example: if svchost.exe goes up to 25%, System Idle Process will go down roughly to 75%. The total stays at 100%.

From lunarlander:

13. Maarcis9

Maarcis9 Thread Starter

But can they disappear?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice