1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista sharing problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nimans, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nimans

nimans Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Dell Vostro with Vista Business pre-installed. 4 GB RAM and 200 GB Hard drive. It's used kind of like a server in my office with up to 7 computers connected either wired or wirelessly to it via a wireless router (D-Link).

All computers access the internet without any glitches and all connect to the router without any flaws. The big issue I'm having is that the main computer (it's called MAIN) will sometimes not allow all the computers to connect to it to access programs on it. I have file sharing and security turned on for everyone and I know that it allows the connections to all computers because they all can connect if I reboot MAIN.

But if the computers have been on for a while, then I sometimes I get an error message for one or two of them that's like "Cannot connect because there are already as many connections as this computer can accept." Something like that. Now I know Vista business will allow up to 10 connections. Why does it give this error message when there are never more than 7 computers? And when I reboot, they can all connect again.

This is very frustrating at work if I have to reboot MAIN because one of my workstations cannot access the patient management and imaging programs I have installed on MAIN.

I'm even considering installing XP on MAIN. One person suggested I install WIndows Server 2003. Do I really need to get rid of Vista and install a different OS to make this bug go away?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This article may help you monitor and deal with the simultaneous connections.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice