1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista side bar and gadgets

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Nando, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nando

Nando Thread Starter

Im having trouble with the side bar. It's not working properly. Here's a print screen so you can have an idea of what's happening.

Any idean on why this happens? What's wrong?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

3. Nando

Nando Thread Starter

Thanks, but it didn't help :(

4. jebster

jebster

hi nando,i had this problem after the first couple of weeks of buying a brand new cpu with vista already installed.are there any other things happening such as links on websites not working when you click them and some images not appearing,has windows media centre come up with an error saying a component is not currently available.Im just checking to see if it is the same problem before i post the fix that worked for me.

5. Nando

Nando Thread Starter

Hi jebster,
    I don't have any of the problems you mentioned. The only probelm I've noticed so far is the one with the sidebar.

But feel free to show me the fix you used...

thanks!

6. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Try this:
    Close Windows Sidebar. (Right-click on the Sidebar icon in the Notification area and click Exit )
    Open an elevated Command Prompt window. (Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. )
    In the Command Prompt window, type the following and press ENTER:
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll

If the registration was successful, you'll see the message DllRegisterServer in msxml3 succeeded after running the above command. Open Windows Sidebar (sidebar.exe) and check if the problem is resolved.

7. jebster

jebster

hi, i have noticed since my last post you have tried the commands given on another thread,but these are the ones i did,

regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 wmp.dll

dont know if this will help but after weeks of trying to fix this worked and has done ever since,hope this helps.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you right click desktop and choose Properties and then Display Properties(I think as I am not on Vista right now) what resolution are you showing? You probably need to switch to something more normal like 768X 1024 to see everything....especially if that is a 17" screen which it looks like as they distort a little bit.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sounds like you have a lot more going wrong with the computer that just the sidebar.

For starters, any more details regarding "component is not currently available."?

10. jebster

jebster

hi yes ther was a few problems that occurred during the first 3-4 weeks like the gadgets and the wm centre and internet links but the three commands i did fixed all these issues and havent had any problems with any of them since.as regards to the media centre it was as soon as i tried accessing it the message came up and then closed but its all fine now.

11. Jimbo47

Jimbo47

This will fix it:
    Open a commnd prompt and make sure you run as admin.
    Change directory to c:\Program files\windows Sidebar

Run these commnads in order enetering after each line to check the .dll is found and loaded -if not you typed it wrong.

1/. regsvr32 -u sbrop.dll
    2/.regsvr32 -u wlsrvc.dll
    3/.regsvr32 atl.dll
    4/. regsvr32 sbrop.dll
    5/. regsvr32 wlsrvc.dll

It worked for me and I was having nightmares with sidebar. Now I don't like it anyway!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice