1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista sidebar oddities

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Penta, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Penta

Penta Thread Starter

OK. First my specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2045 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 105912 MB, Free - 34408 MB; D: Total - 8558 MB, Free - 1855 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 30D2, 79.2E, None
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

Now the problem: So my usage pattern for my PC (a laptop that, thanks to several missing keys on the keyboard, is now being used with a USB keyboard and USB mouse as a desktop of sorts) is not exactly what most people would call optimal. I turn it on, do stuff, turn it off to go watch the puppy when needed, come back, turn it on, repeat over a day.

Usually it works fine. I haven't installed anything new in over a month. Yes, I use Alcohol 120 to burn CDs - Uninstalled that as soon as I noticed the problem, just in case. It didn't fix anything, so I reinstalled it.

Yesterday. I boot the computer, sidebar comes up...The clock is black and the weather gadget is white.

See the attached screenshot for illustration.

Everything else on the computer, oddly, works normal (no viruses detected or anything), but for sidebar. Which is bugging me - this computer isn't convenient to a window, so I use the weather gadget as a substitute when it comes to knowing the weather.

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. Penta

Penta Thread Starter

Huh. I try sfc /scannow. It tells me I must be an administrator. This is the only account on the system, how is it not an admin account?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.

5. Penta

Penta Thread Starter

OK sfc /scannow found no errors. Still not fixed.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try the other fixes suggested in the post I linked to you. See if they work.

7. Penta

Penta Thread Starter

System restore didn't work, and the others appear Win7 specific.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice