1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista -Single Hard Drive backup?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Crikey, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crikey

Crikey Thread Starter

I'm in the process of backing up my data now, but I've run into 2 problems.

1: The external doesn't have sufficient space for everything I want to backup (I purchased it when I had my old PC)

2: The data transfer is terribly slow (10 megabytes/sec for USB external HD)

Now, the question I have is for #2! I kinda want to try to take a shortcut.

If I partition my current hard drive (500gb currently, 350gb in use), can I move the rest of my data to the new partition (gonna call it J:), reformat and install Windows 7 without it also wiping the data on the J: partition which is also located on the same drive?

I dunno how else to describe what I'm doing besides doing some kindergarten diagram.

Hard drive A (500gb)

C: 350gb J: 150gb (data, not programs)

If I format C and install Windows 7 onto it, will J: still be there? :)

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes unless you make a false move, but that is not even a good idea and being on the same drive it is not as safe as when the drive goes down, so do both partitions. Get another internal drive or a new external.

3. Crikey

Crikey Thread Starter

Thanks :) I'll probably end up getting a new external later on after it's all done! I backed up all of my more important data first, and the data that I might lose if this happens to fail can always be gotten again (assuming I remember what it is I'm missing).

I like to think of this as a temporary solution!

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Carbonite, Mozy, maybe A-Drive...all reasonable alternative/supplemental online backup solutions that allow one to take more "chances" with just one set of data locally.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With the price of hard drives so cheap, just buy an internal drive and install. Just checked the egg and a 640gig drive w/32meg cache is all of $64.99 with free shipping.

Rich is correct. You can have all the partitions you want. What happens when the drive fails??? They are all gone.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/827473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice