1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vista slow for no discernable reason?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pench, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pench

pench Thread Starter

:mad:

Ok, we've had this new PC for about a year or so now. The reason we got a new comp is because our old XP one only had 256 ram and was riddled with "junk" all thanks to my brothers >_>

Anyway this new one is just as slow if not slower and I can't figure out why. Here are the specs (just copying the system information here):

Dell Inspiron 530

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @1.60GHz 1.60GHz

1013MB RAM

32bit Operating System. Vista (Home Basic)

Hope you guys can make more sense of that than I can.

I've checked that nothing hidden is eating up the CPU and as far as I can see its ok. So basically Im thinking I should up the memory to 2GB right? Would there definitely be an improvement if I did? Cos it wouldn't be my money getting spent on additional RAM.

Sorry to ask such stupid questions but my family think I'm supposed to be some sort of tech wizard, it was me who persauded them to get a new PC saying it would be faster and I feel pretty bad that its just as crap as the old one :eek:

Thanks in advance.

2. Bill_Q

Bill_Q

G'day Pench,
    Who hasn't suffered from this occasionally?! Before you try anything too daring, give this app a try, it will do no harm, and has sorted out my Acer/Vista nicely.

http://www.download.com/Advanced-Wi...-AdvancedW&subj=uo&tag=button&cdlPid=10890240

DO NOT use the green "Download here" button - that's something else. Use "Download now (6.24MB)" link. You will be surprised at the errors you'll find. AWC v2 will clean them up pronto. If in the unlikely event something weird happens (it won't) you can restore within the application.

If you still have problems,more basic trouble shooting might be needed, but this is a good start. (No, I am not affiliated with these people!)

Good luck

3. Bill_Q

Bill_Q

I forgot to mention that AWC v2 is FREEWARE.

As well you might like to consider defragging the hard drive (Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter), and also clearing Windows temporary files out (Disk Cleanup).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice